b18b, which company?? need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bdogggut34

ok, i've called both sohfast.com and homotorsonline.com and from reading on this website both are very hight reputable companies. Heres the situation, both offer 94-95 OBDI LS motors at almost the exact same price, however sohfast.com has usdm motors and they said they average about 90,000 miles and hmotorsonline.com has jdm motors which the person on the phone said they really do average about 35-40,000 miles. Is there something i am missing or does it sound like i should go with hmotorsonline.com because of the lower mileage??? anybody else run into this?

as a rule, jdm low mileage motors (especially older obd1), have been sitting for a lot longer.
This doesn't mean it's not a good motor, and you should change the timing belt and water pump on whichever you buy anyway.

Both companies are supposedly very good, and reputable. I'd go usdm for a b18b.

Originally posted by twisted civic@Oct 19 2004, 05:56 PM
as a rule, jdm low mileage motors (especially older obd1), have been sitting for a lot longer.
This doesn't mean it's not a good motor, and you should change the timing belt and water pump on whichever you buy anyway.

Both companies are supposedly very good, and reputable. I'd go usdm for a b18b.
[post=404871]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the info, but why then the usdm motor?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 19 2004, 08:05 PM
I'll sell you an Ls motor, I got 3.
[post=404908]Quoted post[/post]​

he is a good guy get one from him he only has two because he is giving me one ;)

2000 Ls 48xxx miles complete

1994 Ls <100k miles broken timing belt, new head is coming and new timing belt is sitting on top, this came from an auto but I got the manual head.

1991 Ls <100k miles complete, trans is attached but is pending sale.

The 1991 was sitting for about a year, the 1994 was just pulled out of the car, and the 2000 was pulled less than 3 months ago.

Make me a reasonable offer for which one you want.

Originally posted by bdogggut34+Oct 19 2004, 05:59 PM-->
twisted civic
@Oct 19 2004, 05:56 PM

Both companies are supposedly very good, and reputable.  I'd go usdm for a b18b.
[post=404871]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the info, but why then the usdm motor?
[post=404876]Quoted post[/post]​

the shorter the period of time the engine sits, the less chance it has water in it, or has started to seize. I'd play the odds, even though I know a few guys that got good jdm motors, I know more who got bad ones. Plus, usdm engines are easier to find parts for, try finding a jdm vtec solenoid, or dohc zc parts from your local honda dealer. <_<

the other reason that i would recommend a USDM motor is wiring differences

obviously the wiring harness from a JDM motor is not going to work with your USDM car and so you'll have to swap harnesses, possible adding length to connectors, etc- I had to do this with my swap and it wasn't difficult at all, but if you're a bit shy of wiring changes i'd go with the US motor

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Oct 21 2004, 06:14 PM
the other reason that i would recommend a USDM motor is wiring differences

obviously the wiring harness from a JDM motor is not going to work with your USDM car and so you'll have to swap harnesses, possible adding length to connectors, etc- I had to do this with my swap and it wasn't difficult at all, but if you're a bit shy of wiring changes i'd go with the US motor
[post=405818]Quoted post[/post]​

yea that definitely makes since, this being my first swap i think i'm definitely going USDM. Anyone know the question i posted above about the valve cover??

hmm, make me a reasonable offer.

95's do not have that vavle cover. The 90-95s have the ribbed style, 96+ have the one like the pic u posted. I know this for a fact

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 22 2004, 05:54 AM
hmm, make me a reasonable offer.

95's do not have that vavle cover. The 90-95s have the ribbed style, 96+ have the one like the pic u posted. I know this for a fact
[post=406077]Quoted post[/post]​

i thought for sure too. I've posted elsewhere and a few say the same thing, i'll have to ask him about that, he says its a 95??? :blink:

Iight, let me make it a little easier im not takin under 500 for it

Back