B18B1...block with B16 head??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondalove

I have a 96' Acura Integra LS 5 spd. It has the standard 1.8 liter ls motor and I want to make it a v-tec. Would this combination work or is there a better way of converting??....and how much will this set me back?...and how long will it take? also how much of a HP gain will I get? since its has 142 HP stock...

b16 head is the most common because of how the head flows. I got quoted around $1650 for the head swap which included the b16 head, machining, ecu reflash and general labor for assembly. The dyno graphs of cars that were dynoed at this shop showed about a 30hp increase. There is info everywhere on the ls/vtec

well you need to buy the head so that will cost you from 300-800 dollars depending on where you go you are going to need a vtec ecu so from 100-300 depending on where you go and what you get and you are also going to need to get a obd converter because there is no b16 ecu for the obd2a gen. so in total you can spend from 400 to 1100 for it all o and you are going to need one of thoe lsvtec kits they are around 200 bucks and do to it yourself is not that hard to do i say start it on a saturday and you should be done and on the road by sunday

im currently building a better one because the first one was done with price in mind and i think its gonna go. if u wanna do it right its gonna cost u. but u also get a more reliable and powerful engine. pissedoffsol actually posted instructions march 4 in general tech so check that out. your gonna need vtec pistons, new rings, cam gears, a distributor for the head you choose, the ecu for that head, new oil and water pumps to handle the increased power of vtec, which is also gonna need a new timing belt, and ARP rod bolts and head studs. and off course the block and head and the work that need to be done on both. i dont wanna go that far into it when you could just check out the article but i just wanna let u now that it is involved. if your still gonna go for it check out ebay. it takes a little longer to get all your parts together but its worth what you will save.

do it right or don't do it at all.

and to clarify, you don't need vtec pistons unless you plan on using aftermarket cams/cam gears. ls/vtec with stock cams and ls pistons is actually a pretty good setup for turbo.

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 4 2004, 04:31 PM
do it right or don't do it at all.

and to clarify, you don't need vtec pistons unless you plan on using aftermarket cams/cam gears. ls/vtec with stock cams and ls pistons is actually a pretty good setup for turbo.
[post=398157]Quoted post[/post]​

valve clearance is pretty close. the valves would actually hit if u used itr or ctr cams. like u said do it right, so u dnt have to pull it apart after u spin a bearing or bend a valve. for less than $50 its worth it.

Back