B18b1 Cranks, but won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dannwo1

For the last month or so I was helping my buddy rebuild his b18 after he spun a few bearings. We got it all together and dropped it back in the car, but when it came time to start it we were dissapointed when we just heard the engine cranking and not starting. I've rebuilt/swapped alot of engines in the past so I pretty much expected some problems at this point.

From there I double checked the mechanical timing thinking we might have jumped a tooth or two with the belt during cranking, but the marks were still dead on.

After that I took a timing light to the harmonic balancer (after jumping the service plug) and noticed the timing was way off. Keep in mind the motor isn't running at this point so the light was blinking intermittently, nonetheless, it was enough (in the dark) to line up the red mark with the indicator on the timing cover.

{A peculiar situation was that the distributer was nearly bottomed out advanced to line up the ignition mark.}

When that yielded no results we double checked the plugs.They were all getting a very bright snapping spark.

I then hooked up a compression tester to see if there might be a problem with the valve seats or piston rings (all of wich are brand new). The readings from cilinders 1-4 were: 180, 178, 172, 180. Given a 25psi dievience threshold and a service limit near 130 along with the fact that the engine is cold (like 18 degrees lol) and the rings haven't yet been seated these numbers are fine.

Earlier today I turned to the fuel supply. The injectors were reused, but still work fine. When I removed the plugs to do the compression test they all distinctly smelled like gas wich means all injectors are firing. The fuel filter is brand new.

{A peculiar situation was that gas merely dribbled out of the banjo bolt on top of the fuel filter when it was loosened even when the key is in the auxillary position and when it is cycled} I had expected gas to spray out with much more force than that. Tomorrow I will test fuel pressure and post the results.

At this point we became desperate and I began to slowly turn the distributer while my buddy cranked the engine to see if I coud find a "sweet spot" using the old school method (with the service port jumped). Doing this we've managed to get the engine to stammer over a few revolutions, but it never ran for more than a half of a second. I eventually gave up and moved it back to the recommended position using the marks i've made earlier.

There are no fuses blown and both the main and fuel relays are clicking on and off. There are presently no DTC's stored.

We've also cleaned all existing factory ground connections and have added three more. One to the exhaust manifold, one to the valve cover and one to the thermostat housing.

So everything's there. Spark, fuel, compression, timing (ignition and mechanicall) New plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter. There must be something vehicle specific i must have overlooked so I decided to post my problem in this forum in hope that one of you guys or girls can chime in with some suggestions. I've tried to be as discriptive as possible to avoid confusion as to what has already been replaced/checked, but if you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick response lostsoulzprophet!

I can hear the fuel pump kick on, and remain on, for a few seconds through the filler neck, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the pressure is good. I've just returned the compression tester and rented out a fuel pressure tester (maybe I should actually start buying these things. LOL) I plan on testing the fuel system tonight and will post the results immediately thereafter.

Thanks agian.

Sounds like a fuel starving issue to me as well.

fuel filter is my guess. ive had the bolt off of the end of the fuel rail, and accidentally cycled the key to the accessory position, and fuel went EVERYWHERE.

yea my bet is on the fuel pressure. fuel pump might be working good enough. fuel filter could be clogged. fuel pressure regulator could be messed up.

The fuel filter is brand new. The fact that fuel didn't spray everywhere should be a clear indicator, but i want to know for sure before I invest in a new pump.

I'm testing the fuel system tonight. I will get a pressure reading at the filter and verify the return line is flowing. I will then check the function of the F.P.R. and post the results.

Paid 150$ to rent out the kit and it tested good.

Turns out when I did the timing I rotated the engine clockwise like a re-re. Crank was off like 4 teeth.

Too much snow right now to crawl under there and straighten it out, but i'm pretty sure that was the problem all along.

Paid 150$ to rent out the kit and it tested good.

Turns out when I did the timing I rotated the engine clockwise like a re-re. Crank was off like 4 teeth.

Too much snow right now to crawl under there and straighten it out, but i'm pretty sure that was the problem all along.

150$? thats outrageous.
its always something simple. timing can be a real bitch.

Back