b18b1 hard starting cold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hale97

hey guys i have a 97 teggy i swapped in a re-built b18b1 about 4 months ago.last month i started having trouble starting after the car sits over night or all day at work.
it cranks really good,but it will spit and sputter until i open the throttle,then it will fire up
but it will stall out right away,unless i hold the throttle open for a couple min while it warms. once it stays running it run like a champ. anyone see a problem like this before or have any suggestions?
note-the car has a aem fpr, srp 9.5 pistons and a block guard. and aem cold air intake if it matters

check your vaccume hoses to your choke in the intake and try cleaning the choke with carb cleaner
that may help

1993 eg si b18b1 swap

so i got my hatchback that is similar to your problem. its cranking but its not starting. :(

i bought this car for 900 bucks. it was missing some parts but i didnt really care. it was a cheap project car for me with a LS swap.

when i bought it the guy told me when ever i wanna turn on the car i have to revv the motor up so it warms up. but i notice when i took the car home and i fail to revv up the motor to let it warm up. the car would have a hard time turning on or it wont turn on at all for that day and the next day it would allow me to do the same thing and gives me a chance to revv up the motor. and ever since i been doing that the car feels weaker and weaker and now its not giving me that chance to revv up the motor to let it warm up anymore. so its just sitting there and cranking.

i also noticed after i bought the car i changed the spark plugs to see if it helps that "warming up" problem. and it did. for a few weeks and i had to do the same thing every morning to warm up the car again. im wonderring what could it be. my mechanic was telling me that its somethign with the wiring under the dash but it does not make any sense to me that it would be the wiring under the dash if my motor still ignites once inna while.

i recently done the following things. -changed my axles - changed my main relay - changed my fuel filter -motor oil and tranny -added on a exhaust with a test pipe - changed the spark plugs

i checked the dizzy for spark in the spark plugs. and its getting spark. all the car is doing now is cranking. something tells my fuel injectors are clogged and im not getting fuel when i crank the car.

pull the plugs out dude... do a compression check... check the plugs for traces of coolant. i had a similar issue with mine after i rebuilt mine with out having the head shaved down...it only got worse and worse... good luck bud!

Back