b18b1 problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

usmcguida

Hello all, I have a 99 Integra LS that I've had for a year and a half now. I am in the middle of rebuilding it because I spun a rod-bearing and now I want to add a few internal performance parts. I've read through many of the threads and I wasn't able to find adaquate information on replacing the oem LS pistons with ITR pistons. I have a set of 'Scat' 4340 Forged H-Beam Rods and I was considering the ITR pistons because of the increased compression and the high temp coating. I know most of the B series parts are interchangable but I'm not sure if that applies to pistons as well. Any information is great.
If there's a thread that already answers this question, please let me know.
Thank You

yeah man the itr pistons will work but i would use ctr and do a ls vtec conversion you will need a gsr water pump and oil pump thats about it if your gonna do something doit right thats what lesson i learned i found out the hard way

how hard is it to do a vtec conversion? i never thought about it because i was told several times that it involved taping the block for the oil line to the vtec solenoid and i dont want to screw that up! im on limited funds and im about to leave soon and need the car, i have like 2 months. but if a vtec conversion will be ok then ill look into it. :)

well if i dont do the conversion what would be an appropriate piston to use

Last edited:
dude golden eagle has a kit that you don't have to tap the block the only thing you have to do i plug a whole in the head and put the kit on the block it's a simple as 1,2,3 trust me i takes less than 30 minuntes to install the kit

what will be the best ecu for the b18c p72-1 vtec head on the b1 block with the CTR pistons? i know that the 3 different ecus will give me different results so which one will be the most power effecient b16, b18c1, or c5?

Why does everyone say go v-tec man? Why not just get you a set of B16 pistons and some Crower 403 cams for you LS. Just because you don't have v-tec does not mean you can't make power.

shit ls vtec is bad ass thats y you will make more power out of the top end if you did go ls/v the ecu that you should use is either a type r or gsr chipped or a p28

I haev a friend that said he would sell me his c1 head for $350, now that I know theres a kit to do the conversion without any modifications to the block I figured Id do that. What kind of power gain am I looking at with the vtec head and the CTR pistons? Will I notice it over the b1 with the CAI, full exhaust and skunk 2 stage 2 racin cams?

I just realised someone brings up an ls vtec conversion almost every day! Wow Im sorry for waisting your time. But if you happen to think of any other things I can do to add more power and still have some gas effeciency then please let me know.
Thank You

Wow... there is way to much to think about when it comes to a conversion... i dont know waht to do... i got the gsr head, gsr oil pump, and the ls watter pump, i have a 99 teg so im assuming its obd 2 and the head has p72-1 on it, and all through the forum everyone is recommending all different ecus for similar builds and i dont know what one to get...
i am so confused

Last edited:
dude it's ok to ask questions thats how you learn i didn't know everything when i started i would to ls/v cause that what i did and it's bad ass

First off realize that using those CTR pistons is going to give something like 12:1 compression,
I hope you have a good tuner, and I hope you have a higher octane of gas where you live because here in Cali you can only find 91 and I guess 93 at a few places even though I have not found those places yet.
Second, everyone says to go LS/VTEC because you will make more power not saying that you
can't make power with a Non-VTEC motor but you can make more with a VTEC head.
Next, I would go with the P72 ecu that way the ecu is already set for the secondaries of VTEC from the secondary butterflies in the GSR head. I think thats it, I may have to edit to add stuff later.
Edit: I am not trying to discourage you from the CTR pistons but they do bump the compression of a LS motor ridiculously, PLEASE PLEASE get a tuning program and get it tuned if you do run those pistons, something like Hondata, Crome or something like that.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
Are you serious ?? CR that high? Holy $h1t!! and yeah Florida has 93 but would ITR give me a little more reasonable CR or will CTR work fine, Im worried about putting that much strain on the crank (granted that the crank is brand-new but its still a stock LS crank)?
where and how much would something like Hondata (and honestly what is it?)?? Oh and on the ecu, is a p72 a obd1 or 2 and what wiring harness will I need cause I know there's a obd2 to 1 converter connector out there but I dont know if I need a whole new wiring harness cause the LS has no connector for the vtec and I would really like it to work (hence the reason of gettin it :p)?

Are you serious ?? CR that high? Holy $h1t!! and yeah Florida has 93 but would ITR give me a little more reasonable CR or will CTR work fine, Im worried about putting that much strain on the crank (granted that the crank is brand-new but its still a stock LS crank)?
where and how much would something like Hondata (and honestly what is it?)?? Oh and on the ecu, is a p72 a obd1 or 2 and what wiring harness will I need cause I know there's a obd2 to 1 converter connector out there but I dont know if I need a whole new wiring harness cause the LS has no connector for the vtec and I would really like it to work (hence the reason of gettin it :p)?

OK here we go... Yes the ITR's will give you a little bit more reasonable CR you can run the CTR's don't get me wrong but I just wanted to warn you about the high CR, I have heard of many people running the CTR's with stock LS internals now I am not saying that nothing will go wrong but it has happened, I am talking stock crank and stock rods. Hondata & Crome are tuning programs to set air to fuel ratios, set rev limiter, set VTEC, set boost, data-logging and all sorts of stuff like that, basically think of it as a little computer chip inside your ecu that has taken over as the brain. Here is the deal with the ecu I see you have a 99 LS so in order to run Hondata or Crome you need to go to OBD1, but it depends on the head, I have a 01 block and a 95 head which is illegal here in Cali but since my head is OBD1 I had to switch to a OBD1 ecu and get a OBD2B to OBD1 wiring harness. You basically have to run I think 2 or 3 wires for VTEC search Hondaswap for it and you can find the wiring diagram.
Hope this helps.

i would go eagle rods in the bottom end man it's 400 dollars but it's worth it just remember if your going the route you will need to up grade your oil pump due to higher reving go to youtube.com and type in ls vtec and you will see a badass yellow integra with ctr pistons

Heres a serious question, with the 99 b1 block not having the breather box on the back of the block and the 94 gsr head with no pcv valve on the valve cover, what can I do about crankcase ventilation? Do I have to worry about the blow-by or anything like that? Also heres a link for people who want to do a VTEC conversion https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/build-reliable-ls-vtec-85477/

and i saw the video on youtube thats a bad ass Teg right there

Last edited:
ok i have a few problems that u guys might be able to help me with, just hit me back please, cause i really need some advice,.... i have a 95 ls integra, and me and my buddy just put an ls/vtec in, its an a1 block with all new honda bearings, arp rod and main bolts, stock rods, jdm b16 pistons, type r oil pump, six puck act clutch, 7.5lbs fidanza flywheel, golden eagle lsvtec kit, b16 head with gsr valve train and gsr cams, adjustable gears, skunk2 manifold, obxr header, tsudo cat back, stock gsr ecu, timing is set a tdc, we took it to the track and the best time we ran was a 15.521, thats horrible, we are getting beat by stock ls/vtecs, we have been told that we should be hitting mid to low 14s???... the vtec lugs right as it ingages, any advice?????

Last edited:
Back