B18B1 Timing Belt Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sixkiller

Picked up a 94 Del Sol where the previous owner had put a B18 in it. For some reason I decided the timing belt needed to be replaced.
It seems to me that there's an awful lot of play in the new belt between the two cam pulleys. I'd say about an inch. The original belt had a lot of slack there as well.
I'm following the procedure from a downloaded Honda service manual and a site where a fella gives some step by step instructions for doing a b series in his Integra.
Another thing that's bugging me is the front camshaft is about a half tooth off the timing mark on the back plastic cover. When I turn the shaft it doesn't want to stay on the mark.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thought I'd post the resolution to my little problem. Turns out the new belt was not the right belt for the B18B1. I ended up counting teeth on the old belt - 125 - and my replacement had 124. So I picked up a belt from the Acura dealer and my troubles went away.
Interesting though. The old belt didn't look that bad - no visible cracks, etc., but the new belt sure fits better and tensions nicely.

Good to hear you fixed it. Always good to count (it often just says on the belt)

I was thinking you had a bad tensioner until I read your resolution post

Back