b18b1 to b18a1 help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nikunter

I have a 95 integra. 5 spd, obd1. I also have a 93 obd1 b18a1 motor. My 95 has 370k kms on it and i blew a head gasket. now i just want to swap motors. seeing how both are obd1, besides keeping my hydro tranny, is there anything else i need to keep/swap?
i read that i may need to swap heads, but in the search i also read i dont have to?? i searched but found nothing on this. any help would be greatly appreciated!
and yes i searched!!

If they're both OBD1 it should be a straight drop-in affair. If the head on the old motor is still in good shape, you may want to swap that over as well. The B1's intake manifold and cams are where it's extra few horsepower come from.

Here's an idea. Drop that A1 in for the time being, and rebuild your B1 while it's out. Check out the FAQ section and look for an article called "How to build an LS all-motor monster" for some ideas...

hi am new to this forum so i dont know so much about it but i need you guys to help me im putting a 1993 b18b ls into my civic 96 lx and the car starts but it turns off in 3 min and smokes the sparks real fast and it make so much noise please help me and cut off in 3500 rpm

rhaay-albums-crx-31-img-0078.jpg

hi am new to this forum so i dont know so much about it but i need you guys to help me im putting a 1993 b18b ls into my civic 96 lx and the car starts but it turns off in 3 min and smokes the sparks real fast and it make so much noise please help me and cut off in 3500 rpm

1.) Start your own thread, don't jack somebody else's.

2.) If the engine is truly a 93, then it's a B18A1, not a B18B1.

3.) You need to provide a lot more information here if you expect anyone to help you. What ECU are you using? Did you swap the car to OBD1, or did you conver the motor to run on OBD2? Did you do anything with OBD at all? Do you eveb know what OBD is? Is the check engine light on?

Answer some of those questions and then we can help you. Oh, and do it in your own thread please...

I have a 95 integra. 5 spd, obd1. I also have a 93 obd1 b18a1 motor. My 95 has 370k kms on it and i blew a head gasket. now i just want to swap motors. seeing how both are obd1, besides keeping my hydro tranny, is there anything else i need to keep/swap?
i read that i may need to swap heads, but in the search i also read i dont have to?? i searched but found nothing on this. any help would be greatly appreciated!
and yes i searched!!

Why not just replace the head gasket on the b18b engine? Swapping motors would be a little over-kill being it only needs a HG, dont you think?

doing a head gasket is half the time it would take to do a motor swap, and your not losing on performance by switching back to a b18a1

doing a head gasket is half the time it would take to do a motor swap, and your not losing on performance by switching back to a b18a1

I can do HG from start to turn key in 3 hours, taking my time, on a B-series engine. And I get paid 10 hours labor to do it too. :)

I can do HG from start to turn key in 3 hours, taking my time, on a B-series engine. And I get paid 10 hours labor to do it too. :)

I agree head gaskets are pud. Replace the head gasket with a factory one and get some arp head studs and call it a day!

arp headstuds are great strong pressure and wont break compared to oem..just rebuild the b18b they have some great power from those motors..

The reason im swaping is, my b1 has 370k on it, and the a1 only has 185-190k's. Its fairly cheap to do. Im just wondering, will the electrical plugs on the a1, line up with the ones on my 95's wiring harness.

Or should i just swap heads and motors? Ill be getting the b1 rebuilt. i found the FAQ :ph34r:

Everything should plug in assuming that the A1 really is a 93, making it an OBD1 engine...

awsome! thanks again man. ive yet to find any info on b1 to a1 swap. (i know its not an actual 'swap'. rather than a replacement)
i dont wanna just get a HG is because the bottom end is in bad shape.

Back