b18b1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RickParker

I have a 96 integra that i recently bought. It has 158,000 miles on it and completly stock. Its still in mint condition but the motor is smoking white on the first start up in the morning and when the RPMS are over 4800 in all but the fifth gear. It sounds like the valvetrain is chattering too. What would be the cause of this? Im thinking that maybe the vavle cover grommets, or the spark plug tube seals, or the valve seals. The spark plugs in Cylinders 2 and 4 (the two closest to the tranny) have oil in them and the spark plugs. I ran a diagnosis test and came up with three codes, P0301, P0302 (cylinder 1 and 2 misfire) and code P1300 (manufacturer control ignition system misfire) Never heard of that, anyone had this problem before? Im intersted in completly rebuilding this motor to be naturally aspirated but dont want to have someone else do it or to spend a fortune. I want something strong somewhat fast and fun, just something to make the kids laugh.
What parts are the best? Bearings. Rods, Pistons, Cams, complete valvetrain, anything else i may be missing? This is my first import and not at all familiar with Japan motors. I have done domestic cars though so my experience with them will be of use with these. Thanks for reading!!!

no need to bump your thread after just over an hour.

sounds to me like you need to change the valve cover gasket (your misfire problem is because theres oil between the plug wire and the top of the plug, breaking the connection there) and do a compression test. you could have a valve seal issue or maybe even some excessive blowby due to worn rings. hard to tell.

is the smoking on acceleration, or deceleration?

I plan on doing a compression test and a leakdown test after this rain clears. More than likely Im just going to swap a stock head for now so i can rebuild the current head I have now. Like I said, it only smokes when i first start it up in the morning, and after it gets warm, it only smokes on acceleration when I push it up past 4800 RPMS in all but the fifth gear. So Im assuming that somewhere in the top end is where Im getting the oil leakage.

so the oil was leaking through a valve that was chipped not sure which one.. ill post pics as soon as i find a way to do so..

Back