B18c GSR into a EG HELP!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HEAD DYNAMICS

Hi guys, Im new to the forums but not to Honda's. Over the weekend I swapped a b18c into my EG hatch and am having some problems. It was an auto and I conveted it to manual and got all those wires hooked up correctly so it will start. My problems are that my speedo doesn't work and I am throwing a O2 sensor code. I took the O2 sensor out of my EG and welded a bung it into the exhaust because it was in the front on the EG. I used the b18 harness and it starts and runs fine, it just throws the O2 code and the speedo won't work. I am using a P28 ecu. I am wondering if the gauge cluster that is in my EG only works for the auto trans??? or if it is another issue. Also on my O2 sensor the same thing, the plugs were the same but I don't know if the ecu reads the sensor different then what the d15 would. I hooked up all my wires except for the purge wires for the convertion and I doubt that would cause any problems. It doesn't seem to have Vtec either, At least it doesn't feel like it and I can't hear a tone change in the exhaust. With the check engine light on, does the ecu go into a close loop mode and turn that function off???

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly apperciated. Chris

not sure about the cluster.. auto clusters work fine with manual, i'm using one.. as far as teh O2 code.. are you using a 4 wire O2 ?

Ya, im using the four wire sensor. Will the vtec work with the vss not working???

hmm.. i'm almost guessing the VSS and O2 are plugged into the wrong ones or something.. :shrug2: .. its just a guess, so you might just wanna check.. switch those two and see if it helps.. the plugs may not be the same, thats why i'm calling this a guess

bad O2???, have you checked the voltage

Im using the same one that I pulled out of my stock engine that was in the car and it never threw any codes. I haven't check the voltage, I have to do that tonight.

it may have gotten damaged in the process of switching spots.. you extended wires right??, did you make sure you didnt cross any of them?

No, I didn't extend the harness. I am using the GSR harness. I just added the wires at the connection between the engine harness and the chassis harness to go to the ECU. I am beginning to think I should have just used my stock harness.

As far as the VSS is concerned, you should have 3 wires, BLK, YEL/WHT & YEL/BLU

so just troubleshoot it

The black is obviously ground. For the other 2 I believe one should be 12V with the ignition ON and the other should be about 5V with the Ignition ON.

If you plan on keeping the B18C for a long time its best to invest in a shop manual (Helms) for it. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Back