1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B18c Identification?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by utn, Jan 8, 2005.

1. utn

utn Member

I am in the market to purchase a new hybrid, I preferably would like to buy a CRX (1988-1991) with a B16 or B18 swap in it but I don't know much about the B18. I am going to go look at a 91 CRX with a "B18 DOHC VTEC engine" in it (as the seller has on his add). I know there are several different B18C engines but what if the seller doesn't know what kind it is (probably unlikely) or tries to pass it off as something like a B18C5, when its actually a C1 I'd want to know how to identify the engine. I previously owned a B16a CRX and I never really knew where the engine came from, It was OBD0, the engine was stamped "B16A" on the tranny/engine connection area and the plenum on the intake manifold was blank, it didn't say MPFI or anything. I think I've seen pictures of a B18C5 engine and it was easily visible that the engine had B18C5 stamped on it, in the same location has my engine had B16A stamped.

So in short, what should I be looking at when I inspect a 91 CRX with a B18C(?) swap? OBD, tranny, mounts? etc...

Thanks,
    Scott

2. formby

formby learning in progress

you already answered your own Q..

3. ryangt

ryangt Senior Member

WIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the stamp is in the same place, dont get bashful and think the guys gonna think your dumb for asking questions, Nit pick also make a big deal about everything thats wrong with the car, also Bring Cash, Money Talks, if the guys asking lets say 7 grand, you can more than likely nock a grand or 2 off if your good at negotiating, make sure you test drive it, and ask if its ok if you get on it a bit, just tell him you want to be sure of what your buying and hell be cool with it.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted