B18c Identification?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

utn

I am in the market to purchase a new hybrid, I preferably would like to buy a CRX (1988-1991) with a B16 or B18 swap in it but I don't know much about the B18. I am going to go look at a 91 CRX with a "B18 DOHC VTEC engine" in it (as the seller has on his add). I know there are several different B18C engines but what if the seller doesn't know what kind it is (probably unlikely) or tries to pass it off as something like a B18C5, when its actually a C1 I'd want to know how to identify the engine. I previously owned a B16a CRX and I never really knew where the engine came from, It was OBD0, the engine was stamped "B16A" on the tranny/engine connection area and the plenum on the intake manifold was blank, it didn't say MPFI or anything. I think I've seen pictures of a B18C5 engine and it was easily visible that the engine had B18C5 stamped on it, in the same location has my engine had B16A stamped.

So in short, what should I be looking at when I inspect a 91 CRX with a B18C(?) swap? OBD, tranny, mounts? etc...

Thanks,
Scott

WIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the stamp is in the same place, dont get bashful and think the guys gonna think your dumb for asking questions, Nit pick also make a big deal about everything thats wrong with the car, also Bring Cash, Money Talks, if the guys asking lets say 7 grand, you can more than likely nock a grand or 2 off if your good at negotiating, make sure you test drive it, and ask if its ok if you get on it a bit, just tell him you want to be sure of what your buying and hell be cool with it.

Back