B18C in 97 EK won't stay running

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ltrlunatik

I purchased a B18C from Hmotorsonline and replaced everything they recommend replacing. I had my factory wiring harness altered by a local race shop, and am running a 0BD2A - OBD1 jumper harness to a chipped P28 with a base GSR map. When I start the car it will fire up almost normal but if I don't give it any gas, it will die. If I only give it no more than quarter throttle I may be able to keep it running...but it runs like shit. I checked to make sure the firing order is all lined up fine and I know for a fact I'm getting fuel. My exhaust smells extremely rich though...I am throwing a CEL but I won't be able to tell what it is until I get my code reader and hook it up. Any info/suggestions you guys might have will be greatly appreciated!

on the passenger side of the car down behind the plastic kick pannel areal there will be a 2 wire plug i think its blue but not for sure on the color jump those 2 wires together with a paper clip or something. and count the check codes your self the check light will start blinking, long pulse =10s short pulse =1s

Ok so I tried that and it kept repeating th same pattern/code: 4shorts - Pause - 3shorts - pause - 6shorts - pause - 7shorts - pause - 1long - pause - 1long.....Then it just kept repeating that code...I guess that equals 40...Did I do that right?

Ok so I tried that and it kept repeating th same pattern/code: 4shorts - Pause - 3shorts - pause - 6shorts - pause - 7shorts - pause - 1long - pause - 1long.....Then it just kept repeating that code...I guess that equals 40...Did I do that right?
well according to that you have check code, 4,,3,,6,,7,20..id check it a few times again just to make sure thats alot of check codes i doubt there all bad. like lets say you have 1 long the 3 short pert close together that would be 13. 3 longs pert close together that would be 30. like that thats how you count

I just triple checked it, and it appears the exact same but my order that they came up in was a little off it went 3,6,7,20, and 4. That is a lot of codes then....Could it have been the shop that wired my harness up? Maybe didn't put the wires into the new connectors in the right order (blue, black, yellow, green, etc)?

I just triple checked it, and it appears the exact same but my order that they came up in was a little off it went 3,6,7,20, and 4. That is a lot of codes then....Could it have been the shop that wired my harness up? Maybe didn't put the wires into the new connectors in the right order (blue, black, yellow, green, etc)?
could be or they might have them plugged up in the wrong place, i mean some codes might be bad things for real but you dont see that many things bad at the same time most of the time

still having problems? I did a b18c swap and accomplished quite a bit of troubleshooting myself... umm there is a list some where on this web site which will tell you what the codes mean so you can start checking from there. It could be a problem with one thing or sensor or whatever... and because of that its causing other things to malfunction...thus tripping more codes...

Is it a JDM motor? did the shop seem to know about your specific shop?

as for the running problem itself i would guess it has something to do with the senors on your throttle body (map, tps...), and intake manifold, or maybe they wired the o2 sensor wrong... orrrr the rewiring of the dizzy plug is complicated, but i don't know if that was needed in your application...

hahaha i suppose that might be more info than help... maybe help get you started though.

umm if you can tell me more about the motor, jdm, obd1 or 2, and what you found about the codes i might be of more help...

I found out what it was, the map sensor and the TP sensor were switched...OOPS! haha Thanks for your help though guys!

Back