B18C in a 91 CRX, needs help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nachogy

Hi guys, I am new here, I will be sorry if there is this kind of thread before.
However, I am going to put a JDM B18C into my 91 CRX (DX). Well, this car originally has a B16A swap already, but now I want to try a B18C with J1 tranny. Can anybody assist me how to do it or where can I get the information to complete this swap?
I got Motor, Tranny, ECU, wiring Harness, half shaft, driveaxles, and all 3 mounts from the seller. I wonder if these things are enough for the swap? And, do I need dash wiring harness? The reason for me to ask because the engine is a '97 B18C which is OBD1 engine, and the CRX body is a OBD0. So I really have no idea about that.

I will be appretiate with any replies!

Actually '96+ are obd-2.

You can run the engine obd-1, which is what I'd do, just for simplicity's sake. just buy a conversion harness for your ECU(from boomslang or rywire), then get your engine harness setup for obd-1 and your good.

in your b16..... I'm guessing your still obd-0? If your obd-1, there would be absolutly no modification in your engine swap. just pull the b16 out and drop the b18c into it and thats it.
Yes your Axles, mounts, etc will all work. B series is B series. but as for your ECU, like I mentioned earlier, it won't work unless your already obd-1.

the only harness you will need is for your ecu. just make sure,if you covert the car to obd 1 that your dizzy has to be obd1 also...........Andrew!!!!!!!!! lol seriously though also i believe you have to get a obd1 alternator also.

so you need 4 wire o2 sensor,distributor,alternator,ecu and dizzy harness for neater looks and to save you a headache. and p28(my preference). other than that you should already have the reast fron your old stuff. good luck.

ok, I have done some research these days, I guess I can buy the wiring coversion kit from rywire.com for $104? Is it cheap?
For the 4 O2 sensor wires, I think my CRX already have 4 wires for O2 sensors already.
Thanks for ya guys replies ;)

$105 = $115 with Shipping.
WELL WORTH IT. Thats what I paid from Boomslang. (I'd recommend them. I really loved the information that came with it. Diagrams, color coding, etc... plus I called them up and asked them a few questions, and he's a pretty nice dude.)

And if you've already got a 4-wire o2, thats good! That means your already running obd-1, so the swap will be a snap.
What engine harness are you currently useing?

Nachogy said:
And, do I need dash wiring harness? The reason for me to ask because the engine is a '97 B18C which is OBD1 engine, and the CRX body is a OBD0. So I really have no idea about that.

I will be appretiate with any replies!

And a quick note on this- No. you won't need the dash wiring.
The fabrication harness', like the one from Boomslang or Rywire all take care of that for you. Going obd-0 to obd-1 is a very simple plug and play operation. :)

GL, and it's no problem. Thats what we're here for.
-Andrew

Well, about the convertion kit, I found this on ebay, eBay Motors: CRX 88-91 PRE-OBD/ OBD1 ECU CONVERSION HARNESS SKUNK (item 110013412685 end time Jul-31-06 20:12:19 PDT) $59.99 + $15.95 shipped. How do ya guys think? Worth it?
And, if there is 2 O2 sensors means that mine is already OBD1? Well, when I got the car, the previous owner told me that this is a OBD0 ECU. Because the wiring was messing up, so I did re-done some of them. I found there is 4 O2 sensors wire, but the ECU is PR-3, and I look at the head unit, it marks the head is a '91 head. So I guess this should be a OBD0 engine, however...is it possible for this to run 4 O2 sensor wires? I have no idea....

The current engine harness should catelog to OBD0 I guess, because the last time I was trying to put my friend's distributor ( from a '93 baby GSR) in the engine, however, the sockets are different. My friends told that it is because baby GSR is running OBD1 and mine is OBD0, that makes different.

haha...acutally I am so worry about the swap, especially the wiring parts. Frankly speaking, I want to swap the engine is because the wiring piss me off! There is too many wiring problems! So I decide to re-wire them and change it to OBD1. However, because it is summer break now, so I will have plenty of time to include engine swap also.

I really really feel excited to get it done. When it was a B16A on it, I ran side by side with a '94 Del Sol with JDM B18C swap. ;)

Last edited:
i gues it would be fine. just make sure you look at the instructions. some harnesses are way diferent when it comes to wire colors. also just cuz you have 2 oxygen sensors doesnt mean your running obd1. the head has nothing to do with it either. your running obd0 if you have the car running a obd0 ecu. The obd1 dizzy will not plug and play with your engine harness either. you have to get the coversion harness.

heres what i did
plug the coversion harness to your car and plug the other end to your obd1 ecu. then run the the loose wires to their right places..... like to the 4 wires to the o2 sensor wires.,knock sensor,and vtec. ohh and you'll have 3 cel wires and random 12V+ and Grd wires left over. the instructions will tell you what is what. when it comes to the dizzy wiring, buy a harness for that too so you dont have to cut your dizzy wires. that way it just plugs and plays. What i did was i went to the junker and took obd1 engine plugs from an obd1 car. then repined those up in my car. that way i could plug the new dizzy without having to cut any wires and still could go back to obd0 by putting the old plugs back in. Thats the process. its not hard just be careful and solder/shrink rap all your wires.

Last edited:
Thanks man.
I just bring the car from Columbus, OH. It took 13 hours to go there and 13 hours back, non-stop driving. When I get home, I feel like dying. It was a 26 hours long distance driving -_-"

However, when I look at the engine, it is different than what the seller told me. This is actually a USDM B18C1 engine....I felt so disappointed while I found out it is not a JDM engine, but I have already paid him and I feel like being cheated. However, the good thing is, this is a clean motor and it is a 2000 GSR engine.

I found that the engine wiring harness sockets are different than the engine harness in my CRX. The motor is a OBD2 engine with OBD2 distributor, but the guy give me a OBD1 ECU... Well, but this is not a big deal because I bought a OBD0 to OBD1 ECU wiring conversion kit already.

Alright, I am guessing that I really need a set of engine wiring conversion harness. Because there is no way to plug those 2 different sockets. Does anyone know where can I get a OBD2 to OBD0 engine harness conversion kit or I will need to buy a OBD2 dash harness and convert it?

I may upload some pictures and let ya guys look at how different of those sockets.

you shouldnt need dash harness. covert your car to obd1. run your motor with a obd1 vtec dizzy from an older model b series motor, also get an obd1 alternator. I think thats it. thats how to convert you motor to run obd1 in your car.

Just get the conv. harness and plug the ecu. run the vtec wires along with whatever else you have to wire to a gsr.(they are different from lsvtec's .lol)

hmm....how to convert my car to OBD1?
I got the obd0 to obd1 ecu wiring harness convert kit, so i think the ecu should run fine.
the only problem I get here is I cant plug the engine harness to the body. the reason is the sockets are in different shape. Don't you get this kind of problem while swapping a B18C?

I hope I can get a JDM OBD1 B18C...however...what I got now is a OBD2 USDM B18C1...what should I do? my friend advise me to drop it rather than sell it. :(

ohh so you got the gsr harness as well? I though you couldt use the crx engine harness. well man i cant help you there. i have no idea about the gsr. I've got an lsvtec. sorry man i hope someone else can help you.

Back