b18c into 91 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dem134

I own a 91 civic hatch DX with a 1.5L duel point FI. I am going to get a B18c swap for my birthday this week and wasn't sure which I should get obd1 or obd2. I have been told that obd1 has a lot more aftermarket tuneing fuel/engine management options. That interests me since I plan on getting cams in the near future. So I wanted to know which I should choose. what are the pros and cons of each. which would be less of a hassle to install.

Also, either swap I choose will come with motor, tranny(hydro), axles, alternator, ecu, gsr shift linkage, and wireing harness. I know that I will need to get 91 crx hubs, motor mounts w/ cable to hydro conversion. does anybody know what else I might need :( i.e. will the exhaust bolt up and stuff like that?

thanks in advance,
M

you shoud get and obd1 setup.
your going to need the ecu adapter obd0 to obd1,
your going to have to modify the shift linkage.
your exhast should work, at least mine did.
your going to need a rear motor mount bracket of an integra.
you'll have to change your fuel injetcion to multi point
wouldnt hurt to have a new clutch
you have to get a different rad. hose

Fistly I'd like to say, that if you've never done an engine swap before (and are plannign on doing this swap yourself) that a GSR isn't the best choice for ease of installation. Its not bad, but its a different OBD that your car, so there is a lot more wiring that could go wrong. If you havn't given thought to both the b18b (LS) and the b16a (SiR). The LS engine is plug and play with exeption of mounts, and the b16 is a direct drop in (with mounts) with the exeption of wiring vtec (4-wires).

You need to convert from DPFI to MPFI, so you can either get a conversion harness (~$120) or you can wire it yourself. If you have no experience, I suggest you buy the harness. I suggest Hasport for the mounts, I know they are really expensive, but they are the best on the market.

As far as OBD, I would also suggest OBD1. OBD1 is compatible with Hondata and Uberdata (a free version of Hondata). However, don't rush out and buy hondata, you won't need to tune for something like cams. Its not until you start seriously modifying the engine that you need an aftermaket engine management system (such as high compression pistons, or any forced induction).

I am not very familiar with swaps but I am not worried about it since I have installed over a hundred motors at work. I was only asking because reading about it and actually doing are two very different things, so I figured that if a voice of experience would lend a helping hand it would mean a lot more.

why would I need an obd0 to obd1 adaptor if I will be getting the wireing harness ,the one that goes from the motor to the ecu all uncut. do you mean a harnes that will allow my gagues to work with the new ecu? the rear motor mount braket I need is off of a 92 teg right? would you happen to know what rad. hose I will need? I should be able to find the fuel injection conversion somewhere here right, and will that require me to purchase other parts aside from wire?

I plan on changing the timeing belt and what ever gaskets are seeping or worse. Is there anything else I should know?

thanks
M

Originally posted by dem134@Apr 11 2005, 04:24 PM
reading about it and actually doing are two very different things
[post=485821]Quoted post[/post]​

Not nessisarily, the first major project I did in any car was my b-series swap at age 17 that I did without any help exept a friend for muscle. You won't believe how much you can learn from the internet + this website. Just read as much as you can about your swap and i'm sure you'll be fine. I did spend a year researching and reading every article online about b-series swaps into the EF chasis, but I've learned a whole hell of a lot and was very sucessful. I'm just saying that if you put your mind to it, it'll happen :)

As far as the conversion harness I'm not sure. You may be able to use your stock harness and just add wires where nessisary and then use the ECU conversion harness to connect the ECU. Again, I'm not SURE about this, because i've never worked on an OBD car (just my OBD0 CRX).

The rear bracket should be from any b18 I think, I know I used a 94 GSR rear bracket on my b16 swap and it worked just fine.

obd0 and obd1 are wired different at the ecu, I think, thats why you need the conversion. you also need obd1 vtec dist and injectors.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@May 1 2005, 07:29 PM
You don't need different hubs, yours will work just fine. Only STD and HF civics need to replace spindles.
[post=493780]Quoted post[/post]​

I guess we will find out going to try to do the swap this Tuesday

M

you will need a obd0-obd1 conversion harness...no if ands or buts(unless you use a chipped obd0 ecu, I personally dont like chipping obd0) also you have to convert from dpfi to mpfi,(rywire.com) sells this conversion http://rywire.com/dxtob18c5.shtml. your hubs will work fine, you will have to modify the gsr linkage or buy pre fabbed liknkage. you will need 94+gsr radiator hoses, gsr throttle cable. also save yourself the troulbe before the engine goes in and replace the clutch,rear main seal, timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Please realize it is not cheap to drop this motor into this chasis, nor is it a weekend job for a novice.

I already made my own obd0 to obd1 conversion harness. I don't have the radiator hoses because I didn't know which ones to get. I have the throttle cable, I bought hasport mounts with the hydro to cable conversion and shift linkage.

The only things I am unsure about are the electrical load detector and what to do about the diagnostic connectors. I haven't found any wire diagrams for those. I am sure that I will have a couple of bugs to work out but it shouldn't be that bad.
I hope to have it running in a couple of hours. And running perfect by the next day.

M

i always make my obd conversions as well. as far as the diagnostic connector is concerned just ground d4 whenever you need to run diagonostic...(i use an on/off switch for this) ELD goes from obd0 b19 to obd1 d10.

Originally posted by 88bluehf@May 10 2005, 09:47 PM
i always make my obd conversions as well. as far as the diagnostic connector is concerned just ground d4 whenever you need to run diagonostic...(i use an on/off switch for this) ELD goes from obd0 b19 to obd1 d10.
[post=497631]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks I like that ELD connection I am going to use it. I didn't get a chance to do the swap because I was missing the 2 tranny bolts that go to the rear tranny bracket. I tried bying them from a lot of different places with no luck so I ended up having to order them from acura, oh well. they will be here in 3-4 days :(
but as far as everything else I feel pretty good about it.

M
ninja time :ph34r:

the wireing diagram I have says that b19 on my obd0 harness is for the knock sensor??

are you positive that the ELD goes there.

Back