b18c obd1 swap into 2000 civic cx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bago'ong billy

I just dropped a b18c into my 2k civic cx. I am getting no spark to the plugs. I checked all the sensors in the dizzy. turned out good. checked coil, icm, fuses. all good. I am getting no mil light to check for the codes. i was wondering is there any way to check the ecu besides substituting a good one. If not what other ecu can i use besides the p72 to check if it is the ecu. the engine is obd1 and car is obd2b. i used the cars harness for the swap and a ecu harness jumper. the dizzy clips for the b18c and cx harness fit right up but i had to wire the tach and dizzy powerwire. The dizzy powerwire from my cx harness looks like a 16gage and the one from b18c looks like a 10gage which i spliced both together. could that be the problem. not enough juice to the dizzy. or do any of the other sensors control spark. i would like to know all other before shelling out part of my rent money for another ecu. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by bago'ong billy@Nov 13 2004, 02:13 PM
I just dropped a b18c into my 2k civic cx. I am getting no spark to the plugs. I checked all the sensors in the dizzy. turned out good. checked coil, icm, fuses. all good. I am getting no mil light to check for the codes. i was wondering is there any way to check the ecu besides substituting a good one. If not what other ecu can i use besides the p72 to check if it is the ecu. the engine is obd1 and car is obd2b. i used the cars harness for the swap and a ecu harness jumper. the dizzy clips for the b18c and cx harness fit right up but i had to wire the tach and dizzy powerwire. The dizzy powerwire from my cx harness looks like a 16gage and the one from b18c looks like a 10gage which i spliced both together. could that be the problem. not enough juice to the dizzy. or do any of the other sensors control spark. i would like to know all other before shelling out part of my rent money for another ecu. any help would be greatly appreciated.
[post=416387]Quoted post[/post]​

as far as the dizzy goes when i did my swap i used a obd2 dizzy on a obd0 engine, but when my friend did his an obd1 car with an obd0 engine and obd0 dizzy it started but it reved limited at 3500 but he changed it to obd1 and now it is fine, that is an option i would try it worked for me and it worked for my friend how that works

Originally posted by mrnice1058+Nov 13 2004, 03:59 PM-->
bago'ong billy
@Nov 13 2004, 02:13 PM
[post=416387]Quoted post[/post]​

as far as the dizzy goes when i did my swap i used a obd2 dizzy on a obd0 engine, but when my friend did his an obd1 car with an obd0 engine and obd0 dizzy it started but it reved limited at 3500 but he changed it to obd1 and now it is fine, that is an option i would try it worked for me and it worked for my friend how that works
[post=416461]Quoted post[/post]​

this car started before on the obd1 dizzy. I had no tach to see what rpm it was but i also noticed it was idling high and never going down. It idled for about about 30 min like that. That could also be the iacv couldn't it? Anyways, I do have an obd2 dizzy but now i have to change my engine harness to a '99-2000 civic just for that dizzy clip to match up.

plug in your stock cx computer. although totally wrong for the motor, if its wired correctly, it WILL turn it on and idle it. if it still doesn't turn over, its not the ecu. plug the gsr one back in with the jumper.
if it does turn on, it could be your wiring- or it could be the conversion harness you bought. there have been several that have simply been made wrong in the past. use our reference section to verify where the pins go from obd1 to obd2b they are laid out.

the obd2b CX distributor plugs and the obd1 gsr plus can't possibly match.
obd1 uses 2 plugs, obd2a and b use 1 big plug. perhpas you have a different distributor?

do what sol said and try the stock obd2 ecu, if everything is wired correctly, it will start, however, i wouldn't reccomend driving like this. if it doesn't start, you fucked up your wiring, which it already sounds like you did to me anyways. obd1 dizzy will not plug up to obd2a/b plugs 'correctly'. you either have to splice all the wires together and match according to color, get an obd2 b series dizzy, or splice obd2 plugs on to the obd1 dizzy.

Back