B18C oil leak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redteg222

I just dropped a JDM B18C into my 96 Integra GSR, spun a bearing in the old one, and kinda liked the 8-more-hp idea. Anyway, once all together, I had a oil leak on the crank seal, because I had to swap oil pumps (no crank sensor on the JDM engine), and didnt replace the seal. It looked fine, so I reused it. Once running, i had a steady drip coming from behind the timing cover, down low. I tore it apart, saw that the trail started at the crank seal, so I replaced it. It has bee running leak free for a week now, but the last 2 days I have noticed a burnt oil smel at stoplights and such, and the top of the pan is damp. I have check the oil over a dozen times, and didnt notice a drop in the level until today. I thought that maybe the pan dampness/burning oil was due to improper torque sequence of the pan (yeah, i found a specefic sequence on AllData). Today, I saw the same steady drip when I got home, looks just like it did before I replaced the crank seal. SO. My questions are:

Could I haver put the seal in wrong and dammaged it? Ive replaced a ton of seals on tons of engines, but never had this problem.

The oil pump was from the spun-bearing-engine. I never saw bearing shavings anywhere but in the pan and pickup when I tore apart the old one, but could it have got in the oil pump, and caused enough dammage to leak like this?

Im a little stumped here, any help/insight would be great.

Last edited:
ok, take the pump back off the engine, and check the snout of the crankshaft for a line worn into it from the old crank seal, if it has such a line/ring/groove, then the only thing you can do is install a new seal and make sure the you either install it a little further inbound or out bound so that the lip of the seal doesn't ride in that groove on the snout of the crank. The other thing is to take the oil pump apart, it is relatively easy (5 or 6 phillips head screws) and check for scratches on the pump cover (inside) and the gears, etc. usually the oil pump is the part of the engine that gets the most wear due to it being before the oil filter. If it does have excessive scratches or anything looks odd to you, get a new pump.
Also, make sure you use some RTV or similar sealer when installing the pump to the block at the mating surfaces. If you keep having a problem you may have to take the crank to a machine shop to have the snout built up and re-ground and polished to get rid of the groove.
This problem is more common on cam seals, but they usually don't leak as much beacuse there isn't as much oil in the top of the engine (gravity, etc. . . )
And yes, you may have installed the seal wrong, if it is crooked or in backwards it will aslso leak.
as far as your oil smell, could be anything froma small drip from the oil filter or the pan onto your exhaust to bad rings and burning the oil out the exhaust.

Thanks, I wasnt really aware of the groove, Ill definitely check for that. I figured the first leak was the RTV job I did, but that was okay, just leaking around the seal. Ill know more tomorrow when I get into it. The burning smell, I know is when it drips onto the header, I can see where its burning. I guess the lowest point of the pan is right above the header. Thanks!

Back