B18C or B16A in 90 integ LS?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StarBellieAngel

i'm debating whether to put in a B16A or a B18C.

I have a good tranny, so i don't need one... and i'm thinking of dropping a little extra to get the B18C instead... B)

is it much harder? will it just cause me grief? :unsure:

thanks for any help!!! :D

the b18c is the vtec b18 correct? if so, i'd go with it. i don't know for sure, but i've heard that the swap isn't any harder. but the vtec 1.8 has more horsepower and more torque than the 1.6. a friend of mine has the b16 in a crx and he says it has no torque. you probably know all these things, so i'll stop at that, but in my opinion go with the 1.8.

You do not have a fine tranny. With either of those two engines you will fall out of VTEC when switching gears.

If money is not an issue than it's a no-brainer. The B18c1.

And both of those engines bolt right in.

that's kind of disappointing...

everywhere i looked i was getting the impression that i wouldn't need a new transmission to do the swap...

just to have a new ecu, and make sure the wiring was correct... besides... shifting gears would take me out of vtec anyway wouldn't it? lol

It doesn't make a big difference between cable and hydro tranny and in theory you COULD bolt that motor to your tranny, but yes, you will fall out of VTEC after 2nd gear. The B16 or B18c tranny will be faster.

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Aug 28 2003, 05:54 PM
that's kind of disappointing...

everywhere i looked i was getting the impression that i wouldn't need a new transmission to do the swap...

just to have a new ecu, and make sure the wiring was correct... besides... shifting gears would take me out of vtec anyway wouldn't it? lol

you dont neccessarily NEED another tranny, but if you used your tranny with a b16, you will be getting your ass handed to you by about everything! :D no torque, no top end (you will lose vtec on shifts). have you considered lsvtec? it would be cheaper and faster alternative to the b18c...

most LSVTECs are cheap to build.. if built wrong, they can be money pits.. the b16 and b18c trannies are more closely geared.. unless you go with turbo, imo get a tranny too.. id go with b18c because you're gonna kick urself when you have no torque..ive known a couple of people with a b16 in a da2 and they always need to 'whined' up the motor to get power

yea... there in lies the problem i guess... it's cheaper to not have to buy the tranny too... :D that's basically how i'd be able to do the b18c...

but on the other hand i suppose i could pick up a tranny from a yard or something for cheaper than buying it as a complete, right?

eh... this is all so confusing. hahaha.

my poor car has just been sitting in my yard for a while... with horrible compression in a cylinder... she runs... but i just don't think it's worth the time to take the head out and have it looked at and tested etc to see if it's cracked... i'm assuming i should just swap it.

as far as racing... i'm not really doing it to spank people... i'm more concerned with getting it just to run and work... but vtec is quite nice as opposed to the 'old' B18A. ;)

thanks guys!!
misti

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Aug 28 2003, 10:31 PM
If money is not an issue than it's a no-brainer. The B18c1.

And both of those engines bolt right in.

If money wasnt an issue, go with a JDM ITR Engine. Yes, it will bolt right in, but wiring u need ur injectors,injector pack, alternator, ur distributer with a leg cut off, wire vtec, pres,knock,2nd 02, and a obd-0 ecu(pr3,pw0, or a pr4 chipped 4 vtec with a msd activation switch, or vtec controller wired to run the vtec entirely.)

don't get me wrong guys... money is an issue... i don't have enough for an ITR engine by far. besides... what you listed there to get it to work right seemed like a lot of friggin work. :unsure:

like i say... i just wanted to know if it was worth the extra to get the B18C and stick it on the tranny... but since i can't do that, getting a complete won't be as easy. :(

it's all good tho...

sounds to me like to get the Vtec to work even just putting a complete in there is going to be a little work. :huh:

what i read is that i just have to make sure my wiring is hooked up ok and i should be fine... i dunno. :roll:

luckily i have a couple people who know what they're doing (more so than i do) to help me with the swap so i don't have to pay someone else to do it. ;)

thanks to all of you!! :worthy:

bro just get a b16a 1st gen. it will be the easiest swap out of the whole bunch. you can use the factory harness from the b18a and run the b16a with it. i would then get an apexi vafc and run the vtec with that. all that and you would have around 800 dollars spent. i would also then put a timing belt and water pump on though. but hands down the b16a is the easiest into your car. it will be more powerful than what you have right now. if you want a little more power just do intake/header/exhaust. that should bump you up about 15 horses more. good luck

Originally posted by DA69@Aug 30 2003, 07:13 AM
bro just get a b16a 1st gen. it will be the easiest swap out of the whole bunch. you can use the factory harness from the b18a and run the b16a with it. i would then get an apexi vafc and run the vtec with that. all that and you would have around 800 dollars spent. i would also then put a timing belt and water pump on though. but hands down the b16a is the easiest into your car. it will be more powerful than what you have right now. if you want a little more power just do intake/header/exhaust. that should bump you up about 15 horses more. good luck

I'm sure she appreciates the help, but she may not be too hot on the idea of you calling her "BRO"

Just a thought

right now, it has a header and intake in it... but if the engine doesn't run, then it's not of any use. :p

yea... i'm not a bro, but it's all good. haha. i can live with it. it's better than looking like a bro for sure.

anyway... i think the easiest (and safest on the pocketbook) is just to go with the b16 and then strap on all the stuff i had on it before... just as long as the vtec actually works when i get it all going. why pay all that money for nothing eh? another annoying thing though is finding the darn time to do all this crap. a few times i've just said 'f@$k this crap'

but then i smack myself and say 'be patient' haha

thanks for all your help!!

Originally posted by XZILER8+Aug 30 2003, 08:55 AM-->
@Aug 30 2003, 07:13 AM

I'm sure she appreciates the help, but she may not be too hot on the idea of you calling her "BRO"

Just a thought

yeah thanx i appreceate the thought. next time add something useful, instead of wasting time :whatafucktard:

Originally posted by DA69+Sep 1 2003, 01:10 PM-->
Originally posted by XZILER8@Aug 30 2003, 08:55 AM
DA69
@Aug 30 2003, 07:13 AM

Just a thought

yeah thanx i appreceate the thought. next time add something useful, instead of wasting time :whatafucktard:

well, since everything you said, had been said before, then maybe take your own advice. Theres no need to get an attitude.

dude, go b18c1, and get b16a tranny its cable and will keep u in vtec when u shift. if u go LS tranny, ur car will be ALOT slower, b/c u wont be able to maintain ur vtec powerband even if u shift at 8500. if u go b16a, it will be way to underpowered for ur teg, the engine is a 1.6L and u have a 1.8L, the less torque the b16a has kills your car, and its slower than ur stock engine until vtec hits, even then its barely fast.

*edit* and no adding i/h/e to a b16a does NOT make anywhere near the power a b18c1 has. Dont be a moron and buy a b16a, get the b18c1 and do it right the 1st time.

i got a b16 in a 90 ls runs pretty strong 15.0 with bolt ons low end torgue sucks. it was between spending 1200 for b16 or 3300 for gsr bought the b16 and had enough left over to buy a 1991 hatch my next project. I'm happy with the b16. make sure to get b16 tranny. ls tranny gears are to long for vtec.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 1 2003, 08:57 AM

well, since everything you said, had been said before, then maybe take your own advice. Theres no need to get an attitude.

:wtf:

Back