B18c swap into 2000 SiR ECU question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TheSir

So ive dropped a JDM b18c obd1 into my 2000 SiR. Edelbrock PerformerX Manifold, AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Mugen headers, AEM CAI, Magnaflow exhaust. New valve seals, pistons and rings. Motor has 52,000 Km and is pretty much brand new.

I ran a clipdown harness since im using an obd1 motor, with an obd2 car.

This is my question.... I ran a PR3 obd1 ECU. Vtec kicks in at 6100rpm (seems way to high) but everything works. Except im having bottom end issues. Idles at 800 but sometimes hits lows of 300rpm after switching into neutral, or at innitial startup. Seems a touch boggy bottom end, or sometimes hesitates.

Im wondering if its the pr3 ecu giving me the bottom end issues, and that i need to find another ECU that will work better. Like a p72 ecu, since its a GSR motor. What do you guys think? I havent tuned it, id like to find a ecu just to properly run it till I get cams, then ill tune everything on another computer. Please help, ive been going crazy trying to figure out whats causing my bottom end sluggish issues.

Also orderd a vafc controller, not sure if this will help my situation or just give me a reason to hit vtec more often :D

I am confused with the bottom end being the issue with idle????

Idle in OBD1 is based on a Fast Idle Thermo Valve and an Idle Air Control Valve. FITV controls idle at cold temps and IACV controls it at running temps.
These can be checked and even cleaned.

What is your electrical timing at?

Mechanical timing is good to go?

6000 for vtec is useless. Set it back to stock. Im guessing you have a chipped ecu only way to find out is where idle settings is to ask whoever did your setup. Performance x manifold is overkill for n/a. You should read more on that.

And do whatever the guy said up top.

That is stock. Its a pr3. Anyways i cleaned the FITV and its much better now. Turned up idle to 1000rpm. Intown driving is much easier. Still going to look for a p72 ECU and see how that feels.

Ive also set timing at about 18 and running premium. Seems to be fairly good. Might try oem specs later on and see how it feels.

btw inside the FITV i found it clogged with high heat silicone. Possibly was used at some point on the water pump im assuming, and was started before it could set, some ran through the system and filtered in the FITV. Pulled it out and cleaned it up, runs like a charm. Idle at hot, or cold is perfect now. Glade i decided to clean it :D

Glad I could help get you in the right direction. Remember to pass on the knowledge.

IACV and FITV are often the culprits of idle issues that come up all the sudden.

Did you unplug the IACV when you set the idle adjustment screw? If not.....let me know and I can run you through the steps.

Jumped service connector when adjusting the timing to 18 degrees?

Glad I could help get you in the right direction. Remember to pass on the knowledge.

IACV and FITV are often the culprits of idle issues that come up all the sudden.

Did you unplug the IACV when you set the idle adjustment screw? If not.....let me know and I can run you through the steps.

Jumped service connector when adjusting the timing to 18 degrees?

Yes i did unplug the sensor when i adjusted the idle, i found a really good write up for cleaning and adjusting everything in these motors. I should post it here

Back