b18c swap into 98 civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blacksheep115

I'm trying to decide what to do with my civic. I know whichever way i go i want a b18c1 or c5. But the question i have is it just as feesable to buy a b18 bare block and rebuild the motor from scratch (to keep me from having to tear apart the whole motor to replace pistons and etc.). Or would it be cheaper to just go ahead and buy the whole engine swap. And also would there be a difference in a jdm and usdm block if it was rebuilt from scratch. I want to go forced induction but i haven't decided between a turbo and a supercharger. I don't want a drag car so i'm not going to be pushing more than 10psi. Any info would be helpful.

thanks in advance
Blacksheep

If you can get your hands on a c5 for a good price and are planning on replacing the pistons, rods and bearings then go for that. If not theres nothing wrong with a boosted c1 either.

A bare block will probably be cheaper than buying the motor with all internals still in it. But if you can't get a bare block it's not hard at all to disassemble the block. If you're replacing stock pistons and rods to lower compression pistons and aftermarket rods then it really doesn't matter if it's a JDM or USDM motor. JDM Honda motors have a little higher compression ratio than the USDM due to the difference of piston dome size.

Turbochargers > Superchargers, end of story.

Thanks for the info, I have seen bare blocks on ebay going for around 200 (b18c1). But you said replacing it with low compression rods, pistons, etc. From what i've read and been told the higher compression the less the turbo lag is. You can get a c1 swap for around 3g's i'm guessing and a c5 is around 5g's. If i was to get a block and build it up how much would a good estimate be on how much i'd have to put into it to have it running. And also if i do swap it with a b series motor would i still be able to have a/c and powersteering?

If you're going to turbo a motor with a high compression ratio you need to find a tuner who really knows what they are doing and has experience tuning motors with high c/r's.

A compression ratio of or between 9.0:1 to 9.5:1 will be what you want.

Oh wow I wouldn't even know where to start on guessing how much it would cost you. Prepare to spend a lot of money if you want it to be a reliable setup. I've spent probably $7,000 on my current setup and it's still a stock block. All that $7,000 went to a new turbo kit, hondata, and so many other things I can't even think of them. It's an expensive hobby so start saving up. That's really the best advice I can give you.

Back