1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b18c swap missing 1st, 2nd, and reverse!

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by hero22606, May 17, 2012.

1. hero22606

hero22606 New Member

Just got done installing my type r into my EK coupe. runs fine and what-not except for the fact that when i throw the shifter into 1st....it does nothing. same thing in 2nd. However, i put it into 3rd gear and it takes off as if it is in 1st gear. 4th gear = 2nd gear, 5th gear = 3rd gear, reverse = 4th gear.
    I purchased the "bitch" pin brand new from honda hoping that this would solve my problem. but it hasnt. someone told me the linkage could be upside down, but it is physically impossible for that to happen on the linkage i have. HELP!

2. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

shifter bushing nice and tight? shifter itself not worn out? take the "bitch pin" out, try to go thru the gears with a pair of pliers or something... if it still wont work, remove trans, dissassemble... inspect...

3. hero22606

hero22606 New Member

yup. i installed brand new energy suspension bushings and a brand new B&M shifter + skunk shift knob. installed new bitch pin. inspected the linkage (not bent). still does the same. i have no clue how to mess with the internals of the transmission. im guessing the shift forks are messed up. i bought the swap from Osaka JDM. Not sure what their policy is on returns.

4. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

are you using a 99-00 si shift linkage?

5. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Shoulda done some research first. they have pretty much the worst rep in the industry. I don't know why people still buy from them, or how they are still in business....

6. hero22606

hero22606 New Member

No im using the ITR linkage that they sent with the swap. like i said the linkage is not damaged in any way. I've got mixed reviews about osaka. now lets see what they say about sending the tranny back. I already know its gonna be a big pain in the ass to get a new tranny from them. just praying for the best haha

7. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

I had this issue when I did my first swap - ended up that I didn't get the bitch pin in all of the way. You gotta make sure it protrudes on the top side.

8. hero22606

hero22606 New Member

yeah i ordered 2 bitch pins from honda. put one in, im pretty sure it wasnt all the way in protruding out the top, but when i got in the car to test it, same thing. could that 1 or 2 mm make a difference on me having all my gears?

9. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

There is no way in hell that the shift forks inside a b series transmission could be oriented for the results you describe to occur. The linkage must be the issue.

10. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:werd: definitely sounds like a linkage issue

11. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

I thought you needed a 99/00' Si linkage? Not positive, can anyone else confirm this?

12. E_SolSi

5th and 6th gen use the same linkage

13. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

So does that mean he cannot use the ITR linkage?

14. E_SolSi

to clarify...

the shift linkage from a 2nd or 3rd gen Integra (90-01) will work for a B swapped 5th or 6th gen Civic (92-00)**
    you could also use the shift linkage for a 6th gen Civic that came with a B series engine (in the US that would be the 99-00 Si)

**the exception to this is the Civic Del Sol (93-97) they need to use the shift linkage from the Del Sol VTEC (the model that came with a B16)

15. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

So it's not a Fitment/Compatibility issue.

OP take some pictures of the install.

16. hero22606

hero22606 New Member

OK this aint the first time ive dealt with installing shift linkages to transmissions. but as it turns out...i looked at the gear shift rod that the linkage hooks up to, and its crooked. its not sliding in and out properly. Thanks for the input though, hopefully Osaka JDM doesnt screw me over on this whole ordeal

17. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

I'm sure they will screw you over. Call Hmotorsonline.com, they'll get you taken care of you pronto. They have awesome customer service.

18. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

Any 94-01 B-Series linkage is all you need. Might need to source one out if the end up jackin you over.

19. hero22606

hero22606 New Member

Ok. Just to clarify everything, the shift linkage that i have is definitely a B-Series. Pretty sure its a type-r. its gold in color, and doesnt have the counter-weight piece where it connects to the shifter. im 100% positive that the gear shift rod is crooked and at an angle, which is what my problem is. Because i disconnected the linkage and manually shifted the car into first gear by jamming a screwdriver thru the hole and rotating it counter-clockwise and pulled out (simulating 1st gear) my friend inside the car turned it on and let off the clutch and SAME thing happend. Not working. Thanks for the input everyone

20. whiterabbit06

whiterabbit06 Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill? VIP

If you still think it's something internal you can always check out the insides. The post in my sig will show you how everything is supposed to be put together.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted