B18C SWAPPED INTO EG WireHarness help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jo dude

Hey out there I am new to this forum, nether the less I need some assistance with my project car...
I have a 92 Honda civic vx and swapping a JDM Type R B18C into it...
and using a OBD1 p72 chipped for a stock ITR
I am using my stock harness, already swapped out the distributor, injectors, and alternator plugs

(Car starts but with a check engine light)

there are still a few plugs that are un-used tho

I need some help converting the 5 wire o2 sensor to the ITR 4 wire o2 sensor,
as well as info on the knock sensor and the IAB

Thanks for ur time and ur impute is highly needed

The ITR doesn't have iab on it's intake manifold, and if your program on the chip is actually a p73 map, it won't have service for it anyway (nor will it throw a code) so you can simply ignore that.

the 5wire to 4 wire is outlined here:
https://hondaswap.com/threads/vx-5-wire-to-4-wire-o2-sensor-info.13759/

the knock sensor is as simple as getting a plug connector for it (maybe came on your swap?) and running the wire into pin D3

You will also need to do some work with the alternator i believe. the plugs won't work.

Service plug near kick panel and glove box can be looped temporarily with a wire and, with key to "on" position, the CEL with flash the codes the ECU is reading. Probably knock sensor and the O2. Check to see what the codes are and we'll go from there. I believe there is a way to repin the harness but I say you're better off switching out the harness for the Type R one or a OBD1 D16Z6 (92-95 Si or EX) or B18C1 (GSR)

Edit: B got to it first.

The ITR doesn't have iab on it's intake manifold, and if your program on the chip is actually a p73 map, it won't have service for it anyway (nor will it throw a code) so you can simply ignore that.

the 5wire to 4 wire is outlined here:
https://hondaswap.com/threads/vx-5-wire-to-4-wire-o2-sensor-info.13759/

the knock sensor is as simple as getting a plug connector for it (maybe came on your swap?) and running the wire into pin D3

You will also need to do some work with the alternator i believe. the plugs won't work.

I test the alternator an it works fine...yes the plug came with the swap...there is a plug next to the air temp sensor that doesn't plug into anything an was wondering if that was the same....

Service plug near kick panel and glove box can be looped temporarily with a wire and, with key to "on" position, the CEL with flash the codes the ECU is reading. Probably knock sensor and the O2. Check to see what the codes are and we'll go from there. I believe there is a way to repin the harness but I say you're better off switching out the harness for the Type R one or a OBD1 D16Z6 (92-95 Si or EX) or B18C1 (GSR)

Edit: B got to it first.

If I got a type R harness would I still need to mess with any of the pinouts at the kick panel?

I believe the plug I spoke of is integrated into the harness at the ECU. Your engine harness will connect at the shock towers under the hood. A TYPE R harness is OBD2 and isn't the same set up as OBD1. I would run A D16Z6 harness in an EG.

You should should be able to pull codes. Not 100% sure but I think the ECU needs to be OBD1 for you to retrieve the codes. Maybe another member can educate us both?

Do not use a type r harness it is OBD2 and is one piece. You need a OBD1 regular VTEC harness like the one I've stated or a OBD1 B18C1 harness. Sorry to give the bad news that another purchase must be made but that is exactly how I'd do it. Some adjustments in wiring but pretty easy.

Your chassis harness will work fine but like B said you need to also wire up O2 correctly.

Does the motor have a knock sensor under the intake manifold?

Back