b18c timming belt noise....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SE-Rious_91

i just fininshed an engine swap replacement for a 96 GSR.... everything went out smooth, it started up fine idles fine, and runs perfect just like the old b18c1...

now problem: i see theres a rubbing noise near my timming belt area... i cut off the plastc on the timing belt cover and u can see the timing gears move... but it now looks like the belt is rubbing on the plastic cover and a little part of belt is sticking out of the gears.. is this normal or this is a big problem....

here are some pics i took on my cell phone... see how the belt is rubbing on the cover, and is not staying in the center... since it was an obd1 engine i had to swap in the crank sensor with the pump and covers.... so u think the belt was installed backwards... this was my first honda, acura engine swap....i mosty work on nissans..... do u think belt replacement????

11-13-06_1051.jpg

11-13-06_1052.jpg

i also tryed moving it to the center whie engine running.... it worked but still is moving to the side...

It sounds like something isn't "true" meaning not in line. There's something that's keeping the belt pulled outward.... When you swapped the oil pump and lower timing cover, did you make sure that the crank pulley was on all the way and not binding? How does the tension feel on the belt?

yea, the crank pulley is all the way in, the tension is tight.... i might take in to get it checked.... but for now i guess ill try not to drive it much...

Back