b18c tranny bolt up to b16a2 engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zellis

i dont know a lot about tranny's but im learning. and i have searched the forums and read a lot of the articles. the transmission guide specifically was very helpful, but what i need to know flat out. will the b18c tranny bolt up to my b16a2 without any problems? i havent read about anyone using that tranny with that engine, so i wanna make sure it can before i go buy one. also im replacing my b16 tranny thats currently in the machine because its grinding in 3rd. would you reccomend sticking with b16 tranny? or going with the b18c? any answers and/or reccomendations are greatly appreciated. thanks.

both are good trannys but the b16 has shorter gears, but yes it will bolt up no problem

thanks for replying. is it better to have shorter gears? like i said i dont know much about trannys. also what is a good price for a b18c? ive been finding them in the 700-1000 range (no lsd)

thats about right on the price, if your gona stay all motor i would get the b16a tranny shorter is faster but if your gona turbo it i would get something with longer gears

Shorter gears are good and bad, great for racing, bad for highway driving, a car with a b16 tranny will turn about 3600 rpm at 70mph, get a little annoying if you have to drive on the highway alot.
All depends on what you wanna do with it.
I would say have your b16 tranny rebuilt, will cost less than another tranny, provided you pull the tranny yourself.
I just had my gsr tranny rebuilt for 500 and some change, all new bearings, seals and synchros. No more grinding and cheaper then a junkyard tranny.

ill be usin the car mostly for driving around town, goin to work, etc. but of course ima want to race people i know, etc. i basically want to soup up the car as much as i can without swapping the engine or adding turbo(however i wanna leave the option of turbo open for the future). i can get a rebuilt b16 for about $600, or a good condition b18c for about 700. whaddya think? also as long as im swapping the tranny, ima go ahead and knock out the clutch and lsd as well. im thinking about getting this "LSD HELICAL ACURA INTEGRA GS LS B18 90-93 94-01 OBX" off ebay for 380 shipped. or the b16 version if i end up with the b16 tranny. you think thats a decent price? i havent found any on craigslist. i know i want helical type. and Quaife is too expensive. so i figure OBX is the way to go. as for clutch, i have no idea yet. i just know im sick of this 3puck race clutch in the car. any suggestions/comments are appreciated as always. thanks.

edit : sorry for the double post.

Last edited:
Like said before, I'd just have the B16 rebuilt. The shorter gears are a lot better for a NA car, especially if you're just going to be racing friends. I'm about to do the same thing shortly for the same reason in my 00 Si, a small grind in 3rd. If you choose to turbo later, then at that time get a GSR tranny for the longer gears.

Like said before, I'd just have the B16 rebuilt. The shorter gears are a lot better for a NA car, especially if you're just going to be racing friends. I'm about to do the same thing shortly for the same reason in my 00 Si, a small grind in 3rd. If you choose to turbo later, then at that time get a GSR tranny for the longer gears.

Hi there, welcome to HondaSwap! Just FYI, this thread is actually from 2007, so the original poster may not be around anymore. It never hurts to have more info available for people who are searching though, so thanks for the contribution.

Hope you stick around and enjoy the community!

Back