B18c Type R motor in EG6 hatch...ECU question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

3diamond

I have JDM Type R motor from 98. I am confused about the ECU to use.

I have the JDM ECU but others have told me not to use JDM ECU since its obd 2 and will look for other sensors that the car does not have thus it will run in limp mode. I have the obd 1 to obd 2 conversion harness.

Others recommend p28 with hondata that way it will be obd1 ecu.

Another person say to run udsm ecu but i have to rewire the vtec solenoid and replace it with usdm vtec solenoid because it has oil pressure switch.

I m confused. Why can I just run the conversion harness and use the jdm ecu?
Please give me input. Thanks! btw is the usdm type r ecu and jdm type r ecu has different pins or not? Thanks!

You can always wire the other sensors in and run the conversion harness, or option B the P28. There's really no right way to do it, as they both end with basically the same effect, a running motor.

If I was in your shoes (I own a EH3) I would run a chipped OBD1 ECU with a base map to get you to a tuner. I would also make sure the ECU has a Socket to plug in to it (with a laptop) so a Dyno-Tuner could burn the tuned program on the ECU.

I would Also change the distributor, alternator, and fuel injectors to OBD1 (Like B16A or B18C OBD1)

Now (in terms of keeping the OBD2 ECU) You can make the jumper harness work with the sensors hooked up (I know one is a 2nd O2, Knock Sensor and I think 1-2 more....:shrug2:) I would think your jumper harness should have pigtails ready for the sensors. You would need to get the sensors and the plugs (w/pigtails). Solder and shrink wrap. If the Jumper Harness isn't like I think.....you'd have to get donor clips to plug them into the jumper harness.

What engine harness are you going to use? If its LHD the JDM harness will not work (its reversed). There are a few options here too.

My way (completely converted to OBD1) is not the only way.....you can hook up the sensors and make it work. It all comes out in the wash :shrug2:

Last edited:
so the conclusion is

i need to run obd 1 ecu such as p28 preferably with hondata with type r fuel mapping.

am i correct?

So its not possible to run jdm ecu on a conversion harness right. Do they even make conversion harness to run jdm ecu?

I m not that inclined with converting everything to obd 1. That confuses me. I guess p28 is the way for me. I just dont want to waste my jdm ecu if I can run with it in it. please help me clear it out. Thanks!

can I run obd1 p72 ecu? i heard the mapping of the gsr is pretty close to that of a typr r..Please someone reply because I am in a bind. Thanks!

Back