B18c vs. F20b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yamil

I own a '93 SI and recently the engine blew up thanx to the famous ticking sound. It didn't last one bit. Well I was doing some research and found three engines that I think and read would work great on my car. The first one is a B16A, the second one B18c and the third one is a F20b. I'm planning on building an "all motor" engnie and the choice is between the b18c and the f20b. I'm new to all of this swap thing so any help you can give me would be appreciated. I live in Puerto Rico and there are a lot of b18's but a lot of f20's and that's something to consider.

The GSR is by far the best choice, next would come the b16 anf the F20 is just a piece of shit with an even crappier trans.

The F20B is far from a hunk of junk. It's actually a VERY capable engine for all motor. High compression, great geometry, and most people don't know much about it- so you can really freak some people out with it too.

Quoted post[/post]]
The F20B is far from a hunk of junk. It's actually a VERY capable engine for all motor. High compression, great geometry, and most people don't know much about it- so you can really freak some people out with it too.

:werd:

200hp out of the box too.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

:werd:

200hp out of the box too.
what F20 are you fucking looking at??!! the only F series motor that puts out 200hp+ out the box the the F20C in the S2K, and he's obviously not talking about that one.

F20B from the accord SiR-T
200Hp 145Trq 11.0 Compression
f20blongblock.jpg

In an all motor application, both the B16A and the B18C are equally powerful. The B18C has some more torque out of the box, but the B16A can easily be made to match.

If price is an issue, the B16A has less initial cost, and there are more of them around than the B18C. That's not to say it's better, but a point nonetheless.

Both SiR and GSR trannies are great, the B16A tranny has shorter gears and would be a better setup for a drag application. The GSR would make a great tranny for boost. (Keep in mind I am just generalizing here)

In my honest opinion, If I was just starting out again I'd go for an SiR Longblock with a JDM B18C Spec R Transmission. The spec R tranny has the best final drive out of the B-series trannies, plus dual-synchromesh for added durability (not to mention a pretty kick ass Limited Slip Diff). Use the Spec R Clutch assembly and flywheel if you can (unless you want to go crazy now with a clutch....I have them on my SiR and it's a real plus)

If this sort of freaks you out (mismatching trannies and engines) don't worry, it's a direct bolt on and would be no diffrent than putting a B16A together. And it is totally worth it in the end.

As for the F20, I personally wouldn't bother. I'm sure it's a capeable engine, but there are better choices out there at similar pricepoints.

Good luck and enjoy the sunshine you lucky bastard (1 Foot of snow this weekend for me!!)

the engione tranny and ECU are only $2500
you could have that engine in the car for slightly more than a GSR will cost

only thing that would keep me from jumping on that engine is i dont know enough about it and what parts work with it

Quoted post[/post]]
the engione tranny and ECU are only $2500
you could have that engine in the car for slightly more than a GSR will cost

only thing that would keep me from jumping on that engine is i dont know enough about it and what parts work with it

Meh, it's basically just a mini H22 with a bit higher compression ..... whoop-dee-doo. I could see the tranny on that engine being really shitty.

If I had the choice, for that price, I'd be swappin a Euro-R

Quoted post[/post]]

I do. :mrgreen: :p :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
Meh, it's basically just a mini H22 with a bit higher compression ..... whoop-dee-doo. I could see the tranny on that engine being really shitty.

If I had the choice, for that price, I'd be swappin a Euro-R

Nah, the transmission is actually pretty good. LSD and everything. The F20B truly was the predecessor to the F20C, so there's a lot of good stuff in it. Quite a few people have even turbocharged it- with the high compression and great stroke geometry, light boost makes a really nice power curve on the F20B.

get the F20B. be different. Cal knows what parts you can use.

Originally posted by Ben Stiller in Starsky and Hutch

Do it. DO IT.

Back