B18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rmb2k

i checked out that link for hmotorsonline and saw that I could get the GSR motor for $2899, and the complete changeover for $3199. The type R was $4600. What type of modifications will have to be done to my car (94 civic ex) if I go with the GSR? I figure if I'm gonna shell out $3199...whats another $1400, and I could have a type R?
Thanks, Ryan

Well, the GSR changeover can be bought OBD1, so no messing around with wiring. The JDM ITR's wiring harness is made for RHD, so some modifications will need to be done in order to get it running, along with the OBD2 conversion...E_SolSi did a ITR swap into his 93 Del Sol, hopefully he can be more informative than me.

What exactly does OBD1 or OBD2 mean? I don't think that I'll go with a JDM engine since they aren't road legal in my state. I really don't know a lot about engine swaps, so that is why I'm asking so many questions. Will any year GSR or Type R engine fit into my 94 civic ex? Basically, all I know is that both engines are direct-bolt-in swaps...at least that is what I read. Beyond that, I'm pretty much illiterate on this subjuect. If you know any good links that I can read about all this I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know more about it before I actually do it.
Thanks, Ryan

OBD = on board diagnostics...basically, it all comes down to your ECU and engine wiring. OBD0 is 92 and older, OBD1 is 92-95, OBD2 is 96 up. A USDM GSR will be the most strait forward swap, from a 94 or 95.

making an OBD-2 engine work in an OBD-1 car is actually quite easy (just takes some swaping of plugs and a little soldering)

for the GSR engine you will still need to add wires for the secondaries

what state are you from that JDM engines arent road legal???? i mean even in Cali you can rrun JDM engines you just need to have all of the correct emissions equipment on the car <_<

when your dealing with swaps there is no such thing as direct "bolt-in" or "bolt-on"... basicly those terms mean if you fuck with it for a little while you can get it to work :)

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Jun 3 2003, 11:45 AM
OBD = on board diagnostics...basically, it all comes down to your ECU and engine wiring. OBD0 is 92 and older, OBD1 is 92-95, OBD2 is 96 up. A USDM GSR will be the most strait forward swap, from a 94 or 95.

sorry to butt in, why would the USDM GSR be more straight foward than the JDM GSR?

because you can actually use the harness

I'm from Tennessee. I thought that JDM engines didn't pass emissions because of smog related problems. And then on some other website that sells them, they say that they are intended for off road vehicles only(i guess they meant race tracks). But, I'm not gonna complain! If I can get a JDM for my everyday driving car then I will.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Jun 3 2003, 11:45 AM

Correction, 91 and below is obd-0

92-95 is obd-1 B)

Sorry I was bored :p

Originally posted by rmb2k@Jun 3 2003, 02:58 PM
I'm from Tennessee. I thought that JDM engines didn't pass emissions because of smog related problems. And then on some other website that sells them, they say that they are intended for off road vehicles only(i guess they meant race tracks).

if you run all of the correct emissions equipment on them (JDM engines dont always have all of the required parts ... but you can put them on) you will pass fine

and the websites say that to coover their own ass thats all

jody (sir kid) is from tenessee, and has an sir1 in his 4th gen. boosted no less, and is on the street. you can get away with it

about the wiring , I have a 97 civic ex and I got a 98 gsr (jdm) motor and I was wondering how the wiring harness would work out? do i have to send it off to work? Or can i get it done otherwise

the JDM harness will not work (its backwards)
your harness will plug in ... youll just have to lengthen a few wires ... all the plugs should be there

please start your own topic next time

Back