b18c1 auto question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cosmocop1

Thanks in advance for any help I get. I'm in the middle of swapping a B18C1 into a 95 EX coupe. The Civic was automatic and my finace wants to keep it that way. We have the auto tranny. I'm not sure what car it came from, (think it might be LS) as all parts are from different cars, making things much more complicated. To top it off, I believe we were sent a manual harness, or from a pre-94 teg, because three connectors for the sensors for the tranny are not even there. Looks like two shaft sensors and a speed sensor. The tranny is mounted and all and just about to be dropped in. My quesiton is can I just run those three sensor wires to the computer, they are two wire each. The computer is labeled as a b18c1 auto computer, but the year is smudged off, looks like 93, but I dont think thats possible. I do know that the label has a p72 code on it. My other question would be what else needs to be run. I looked at the articles here, but I'm confused because I'm not sure where I stand on the OBD type between the engine,tranny,car and computer. Motor is from 96, so I think thats OBD II. BTW all these headaches arose from thinking I was getting a "complete swap" from one car, not pieces from who knows where. At this point I'm expecting lots of tranny or engine codes, or improper shifting, or who knows what, so I'm looking to get this all figured out. Thanks again

I would just use the stock EX harness. Everything should plug right in, since the EX was a SOHC VTEC. You may have to extend a few wires, and you'll have to add a wire for the knock sensor... also, if the car is OBD1 and the motor is OBD2 you'll need to rewire your distributor, which is no big deal. Just cut the plug from the OBD2 B-series distributor and wire your D-series OBD1 plug to the B-series distributor, and plug it into your stock harness; it's pretty easy, just match up the wire colors. It'd be a LOT easier to do what little work has to be done to your stock harness (since it's already automatic) than to try to wire the manual harness for an auto transmission...

If the ECU is OBD1, it should plug right in.

If you use the EX harness, you'll also have to add the IAB connection, which you should have on the harness that came with it..

Shit, that too...

Forgot about the IAB's...

yea use your stock harness for the EX then extend the o2 sensor plug, and then the ones that are not there like the IABs and knock sensor, use the plugs off the other harness.

Back