b18c1 shortblock vs. b18c5 shortblock

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

what are the differences between a gsr and a itr shortblock? i can get a gsr shortblock for diRRRRt cheap. while i have it out of the car, i would like to build the bottom end. a few questions:

1. What are the differences in rod strength?
2. Are ITR pistons a direct fit?
3. If i go with ITR pistons, should i get ITR rods as well or are the GSR rods comparable?
4. So basically, the only difference between an itr and gsr block is the pistons and rods?

thanks in advance...

im pretty sure the engines have the same bore and stroke so i dont see why the pistons and rods wouldnt fit with no problems. what are you building? where can you get a gsr block from dirt cheap? how much? they got other parts? anyway, i would go with the itr internals, i would think they are stronger since the motor is built from the factory for higher revs, and such, and with an added plus, the gsr block has a stock crank girdle. hope i was some help.

The oil pump is diffrent. Check out the post by chet about him getting his ITR short block. He listed alot of it.

yup, pistons, oil pump are different. Rods not sure about but they are most likely the same.

the main differences with the two full motors is the tranny and head.

Milan

rods are different, the type r rods contain more chromoly to make them stronger.

tru ITR has crank girdle and so does the GSR.

external oil cooler??? as opposed to an internal one??

As far as I know I don't think honda's ever ran a oil cooler.

Milan

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jul 6 2003, 04:28 PM
As far as I know I don't think honda's ever ran a oil cooler.

"Factory oil coolers are normally a small water-cooled device sandwiched between the oil filter and engine block", i got that from the KS Motorsports site. I have personally never heard of honda running an oil cooler myself so i dont know.

hmm could be, but the other post was refering to an actual oil cooler "like a greddy unit" something that usually runs on oem turboed rides.

Milan

the block themselves are exactly the same. the internals are different, cant remember exactly which parts are different tho

itr has better...
intake manifold (single runner, shorter runners, bigger plenum)
cams
valve springs
valves (lighter, higher flowing)
bowl port in head
pr3 casting head (higher flowing as proven by alaniz)
RED VALVE COVER!!!!
chrome valve cover grommets
faux carbon fiber plug cover and chrome oil cap on jdm 98+
lighter flywheel
better clutch disc and pressure plate
LSD
gearing (closer gearing
aluminum tranny brace
62mm bore throttle body
better header (depending on motor, jdm 98+ has 4-1)
shift linkage + shifter (lighter/shorter shifting)
jdm has aluminum a/c mount
rods (lighter and weight matched within a certain spec, i dont remember)
pistons (coated skirts, higher dome, thicker ring lands)
crank (fully counterweighted and reinforced/beefed up for high rpms)
assembly (hand assembled motor!)

Back