b18c1 swap into 1990 LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dskatty

Hello got a very good deal on a gsr engine with tranny driveshafts and a type R ecu..... etc.
everything that was taken out of the gsr is there
just wondering if i need anything else that wouldnt have come out of the gsr that im going to need for this swap
will the gsr mounts fit into my DA or do i use my old mounts
anything and EVERYthing will help me maybe someone who can give me a complete list of what i need or give me a link for a complete list for the swap

Thanks

I tried this too.

Yes you will need your old engine mounts plus the bracket that bolts to the engine right under the cam sprockets. This is a hydrolic clutch transmission right? You will need a special adapter mount to get it to hang from the engine mount on the pass side, plus you will have to figure out if you are keeping it hydro or using the old cable. Keeping the cable would be my recomandation, however this too requires an adaptor to fit on the tranny front where the release arm should be. Be prepaired to spend near $250 getting the trans to work. A whole cable tranny will cost u less. I also found out the hard way, not all the wires line up. Even though both of my motor and car were OBD1 the main harness plugs worked but then there was extras on the engine driver side. Also the car passenger side had wires that didn't plug into the engines harness. But you will have to use your old OBD0 LS engine harness and extend the wires to find the right sensors on the gsr motor.
What year gsr is this engine? JDM or USDM?
Also the intake manifold, if it is still the GSR with the dual stage runners the Type R ecu wont recognize it and will just keep the butterfly valves all open all the time. Not a bad thing just a waste of a fuel friendly manifold. If this Type R ecu is different OBD than your car you will need a jumper harness just to plug the ECU into the LS wire harness under the dash.
FYI I gave up trying to swap my GSR motor into my 93 because in the end it was cheaper to sell it and find a b16 gen II that actually came in my years over in Japan. Don't get discouraged it might still work for you, just plan out all purchases before you start swipping the credit card. I see another $500 in adapters and wiring kits to make it work but if you get me the year and domestic market it came from I can point you to all the sources I looked at.

well the tranny i have in my car shifts really nice its the stock ls tranny do u think itd be a better idea to part the gsr tranny out and use the ls one
Also would i be able to take the clutch out of the new tranny and use it on my ls tranny?
and its a 96-2001 gsr motor jdm
Thanks

Yeah I would stick with the tranny you have and sell the hydro to some one with an eg or ek they would also want your unused engine mounts off the gsr since the engine bay in those civics is the same as the dc integras. You can get like $200-300 for that tranny depending on where you live.
No you won't be able to swap clutches, different splines on the main shaft, since they will be apart it's easy to cange out for a new one.
An OBDII to OBD0 jumper harness will get your computer to plug in, this shouldn't cost more than $80-100. Professional ones are more expensive but I've seen really good ones from average guys done with junk yard parts.
Your best bet to wire up the engine would be to keep the LS harness and add the wires for VTEC and O2 plus some others. You will have to cut up the engine harness on your gsr for the ones that don't have plugs, ie, the vtec solinoid has a green plug that you can follow the wires as far away from the plug to cut and leave you pleanty of wire to work with. This will have to be done for every sensor that isn't there on the LS motor. It is a pain but not impossible, just get wiring scematic for both cars first and plan everything out before snipping wires.
If this is going to pop in the occational car show, a new trend is "wire tuck" the engine bay where they hide all of your wires under the hood so nothing is visiable giving you a really clean engine bay. A honda friendly performance shop would do this for you since you will have two engine harneses to work with, expect to pay several hundred for this but it could be worth it to avoid a very big time comsuming headach.

Back