B18C1 Type-R build?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98b16a2

I have a stock B18C1 engine and am going through re-doing the bearings and such because of the high miles (300,000). I figured I might as well up the performance a little bit while I'm at it and the engine is apart. What am I looking at as far as the hp goes if I simply put in the ITR pistons and the ITR cams (stock valve train if possible)?

Last edited:
i dont personally know the numbers but i would use better valve train if you have the money. might as well if you have the head apart.

Yea man i have no clue. There are all kinds of things to consider. My friend has a stock gsr with itr pistons and its pretty quick but i dont know his numbers.

I understand that there isn't an exact number ;) There is tuning and everything else involved that will make quite a bit of difference. But ideally when upgrading there is a rough number that part will give you in reference to hp, that is.

Now in reference to the valve train, I have heard that people have kept theirs stock and it works fine, however, there are those that would upgrade. I'm currently looking for a supplier that sells the springs at a good price. I was considering leaving it stock but the more I read, it's just safer to do the upgrade.

Just gathering information to build a safe and effective engine ;)

Another question since I am on the type-r conversation. Is the stock gsr computer ok with the upgraded type-r valve train, cams, and pistons? That through my browsing I have not come across....

Gotcha. Great information! Wasn't aware of the p28 chip....looks like the thing I need ;) Thank you

I believe I read that its ok using the stock gsr rods with the itr pistons, nothing needs to be machined off to make sure there is clearance, correct? They are fine as is?

Yes use the P28 chipped with a custom map. Tune with an ostrich then burn a chip with the moates burn 1.

Yet another question, I have a skunk2 intake manifold I was going to use for my turbo b16a2 I was building (project now put on hold lol). Any reason why I can't bolt that up to my b18c1 head? I think it has the same bolt pattern as opposed to the c5 which is the only b-series that is different.....?

the C1 (GSR) is different.. b16, b17 and C5 (itr) head is the same .......b18a/b and b20b/z are the same

u should built a Poor Mans Type R,since u got the block,all u need is a b16 head with JDM b16 pistons,and ITR Valvetrain would be nice,but depends if u got the money,and also if ur goin all motor,i forget about that GSR Tranny,get a B16 Tranny better for all motor.or if u want a little more power,put back on ur gsr head and use the JDM B16 pistons and u should get more compression then a poor mans type r,Poor mans type r is 11:6 compression,and a stock gsr with jdm b16 pistons,comes out to 11:9 compression.heres a link to a guy who did that setup of the gsr and he got some good dyno results.YouTube - Civic hatchback dyno run

you've posted the same shit 3 different times.. i think the thread made for it was enough

Back