B18C1 vs. B18C5 what is the difference

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys I was wanting to know what the big difference between the B18C1 vs. B18C5 I know the C5 is considered ITR, but they have the same Bore and Displacement, the compression seems to be 10.2:1 vs. the 10.0:1 on the C1, if I used a P73 ITR ECU and ITR Pistons in my C1 will I get the 195HP or close to it like a ITR C5, seem like it or am I wrong, and cant I use the ITR Pistons and Rods in my C1 since they are the same bore, please advise I can get them cheap and am considering upgrading it would be cheap for 25 more hp, thanks

Yes you can use ITR pistons in a GSR. The JDM ITR has a compression of 11.1:1, the ITR also has a better head, slightly ported from factory. It has about 17cc more combustion chamber. The cams have more overlap for better top end.

So if I can get the ITR pistons, rods, rings and pins for $175 isnt that a good deal?? and what about ecu can I stay with the p72 ecu and as well if I am going to boost would 7psi be ok with that setup??? You said also that the ITR cams are better for top end , how much more top end would I get say over a B18C1 with stock vs. B18C1 with ITR Cams?? thanks for the help

i am not sure so dont quote me on this but i think the head is different in quite a few ways one for sure that i know of is the intake manifold is different

Originally posted by NoJokE@Nov 9 2003, 09:49 PM
Yes you can use ITR pistons in a GSR. The JDM ITR has a compression of 11.1:1, the ITR also has a better head, slightly ported from factory. It has about 17cc more combustion chamber. The cams have more overlap for better top end.

you're right about the slightly ported part. but actually, the gsr head has a smaller combustion chamber... about 1.1cc smaller thus giving you about .2 more on you compression ratio. but i do believe the itr head flows better than the gsr head.

Originally posted by riddickone@Nov 9 2003, 10:00 PM
So if I can get the ITR pistons, rods, rings and pins for $175 isnt that a good deal?? and what about ecu can I stay with the p72 ecu and as well if I am going to boost would 7psi be ok with that setup??? You said also that the ITR cams are better for top end , how much more top end would I get say over a B18C1 with stock vs. B18C1 with ITR Cams?? thanks for the help

dude if you're gonna boost the c1, dont add itr shit.

c5 has a heavier crank that makes it more stable at high rpms. intake mani, TB, cams, head, pistons, and tranny are all different on the c5. you will only get a 0.8:1 bump in your compression from the itr pistons in a gsr. you have to think about what you want to build for, all motor vs. forced induction.

ITR = cams, valvesprings, oil pump, higher compression, better gearing, lsd, Jspec final drive, valves are all different.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Nov 10 2003, 06:55 PM
ITR = cams, valvesprings, oil pump, higher compression, better gearing, lsd, Jspec final drive, valves are all different.

plus mild port and polish and better intake mani...

If a b18c1 a gsr motor then what is a b18c5 I went on a web site with all honda specs last night and it said a gsr in a 94-01 b18c1 only gives a 170hp and a b18c5 is a japanese type r which gives 197hp. Is that true or is a b18c5 a gsr too? Also is a b17a a gsr too I believe the years are 92 - 93?

i could be wrong, but arent the rod and main bearings journals slightly skinnier? i believe all type r engines, obd1 or 2 came with different bearing journals for reduced friction. the bearing is also constructed differently. the bearings isnt a flat surface but rather made up of thousands of pyramid shapes that create better oil control/flow while reducing the contact surface even further. but i could be wrong.

i was wrong. the gsr also has 17.5 mm bearing journals.

there is no such thing as an OBD-1 type R

the type R was introduced in japan in 96 (1st year for OBD-2)

USDM ITR pistons in GSR = 11.3:1
JDM ITR pistons in GSR = 11.6:1
The ITR cams are much more aggressive. The crank has 8 counterweights vs. the GSR's 6. Head is "mildly ported" from the factory. It also has a better flowing intake maniflod. The head is actually a b16 head the has been massaged.

I would stick with your p72 ecu and either get hondata or atleast a vafc and have it tuned.

And if you are boosting your car why the hell would you wanna raise the c/r?? If you do, you have have to have some serious tuning performed or you are gonna meet the boost monster... KABOOM! There is verly little room for error when you start rasing the c/r on a boosted car.

Originally posted by shaun@Dec 6 2003, 03:35 PM
If a b18c1 a gsr motor then what is a b18c5 I went on a web site with all honda specs last night and it said a gsr in a 94-01 b18c1 only gives a 170hp and a b18c5 is a japanese type r which gives 197hp. Is that true or is a b18c5 a gsr too? Also is a b17a a gsr too I believe the years are 92 - 93?

there is no japanesse b18c5

b18c spec R
b18c sir-G

and usdm
b18c5
b18c1

IMO i think you should just get the itr pistons, ecu. cams, im, and port and polish the head!! waho!!! yeah!!

would be nice if you have the cash.

If your going to boost don't raise the compression over 9.0:1 / If you do your going to have to run meth injection or race gas depending on boost levels, cause the higher compression ratio the more octane you need to slow the burn inside the combustion chamber. If you run lean your actually raising cylinder temperatures cause a evil person called detonation to fuck your life & your wallet up!!!

Back