b18c1 vs c5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FutureITRCiv

Ok, i'm new to honda tuning, i recently had to bury my sentra se-r :(. sorry if i just come off as sounding stupud, but im just wondering.

Im wanting to put a b18 engine in my 95 civic. i dont plan to turbo, im just wanting a strong running NA engine. Since money isnt that much of an initial issue, but it could be down the road for say repairs, what would be the pros and cons in choosing to swap in the c5 over the c1. thanks for the help

c5 > c1

since you're not planning on turboing I think the c5 would be your best bet for a great n/a motor. I'm sure if you asked most people here to choose between the b18c5 and the b18c1 and leaving it all motor, they'll choose the ITR.

pro: C5 puts out more power, uses better parts
con: C5 costs more money

thats really it :)

yea you are right. i'd love to plant the itr motor in. i'm just worried general mantaince issue might end up costing me more money in the long run

ok another question. if i did go with the c5, and i bought everything needed for the complete swap, is there any difference between the 96-97 and 98-01 motors?

get the c5
maintaing it will cost the same unless you blowup all the expensive shit,

the difference's i know of between them is 1 ofcourse mileage but 2 the header is different, the newer one with the better but you can always buy it for 300 and change if you got the older one. obd is different between them.

yes you need it to have the swap work. they could both be obd2 but one might be the obd2a and the newer might be obd2b im not sure how it works over there for sure. not that obd really matters since you have an obd1 car that you will have to match it too by either wiring it or getting obd1 injectors,distributor,ecu.

i really need to read up on obd. i understand what it is, im just not sure what all it restricts. thanks for the info by the way.

does anyone in here know the link to an obd thread?

i have an 00 ITR engine in my 93 sol Si

what model of civic are you putting this in

that will determine what kind of wiring you will be looking at .... its a pretty simple straight forward swap

Originally posted by FutureITRCiv@Apr 12 2004, 10:08 PM
ok another question. if i did go with the c5, and i bought everything needed for the complete swap, is there any difference between the 96-97 and 98-01 motors?

assuming by the rough years you stated, I think you mean the 97-98 motors and 00-01 motors...and no they're both the same.

Go to itrca.com and ask around about any differences I might not know about.

he is talking about the JDM ITR engines
there are 3 different JDM ITR engines (2 specs 1 variable)

96 spec (96 - 97) 4-2-1 cast exhaust manifold, 4.400 final drive, lower compression (i think it was 10.6:1)
98 spec (98 - 01) 4-1 header, 4.785 final drive, 11.1:1 compression

but the 00 - 01 have a slightly more agressive intake cam than the others (same as the CTR)

Originally posted by FutureITRCiv@Apr 13 2004, 07:06 PM
Its an EX model Civic coupe

ok cool yours will be pretty much the same as mine was then

for mounts you can use a combo of your stock mounts and the integra mounts pic here
(i went with the hasport kit)
you will need to use the integra shift linkage
you can use your stock harness just switch the plugs for the injectors, distributor, and alternator... lengthen a few other wires and you are all set (its really not hard to do at all)
for ECU you can use a P30 or chipped P28 (im running mine with a chipped P28 and a VAFC)... if you plan to build further in the future i would suggest getting a hondata

Back