B18c1 with B16 Head Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Finnfellow

I have a 1991 honda crx hf that i bought a month ago with a b18c1 bottom end with a b16 top end. I want to Build this motor up and i would like to get 400whp.

Things i Know about the motor setup is:
It has eagle rods
Compression acording to the posting was 10.5:10:1 (getting a static compression check done)
and that they said it was a poor mans type r

Now i dont know a whole lot about building motors but i have been researching and i woulkd like some help to get a base map of my build so i can start getting everything piece by piece for it

I need to know what internals for the bottom end i should get and what internals for the top end i should get and if it helps i plan to turbo

List i have so far(subject to change):
Hondata s300 with p28 ecu(will get tuned)
new cams/cam gears
maybe new pistions
pnp
turbo was thinking t3/4 but im not to familiar with them yet
intake manifold

What do you guys suggest any help would be appreciated

At 400 whp, there are two routes you can take as far as the bottom end is concerned:
1) Stock sleeves, forged pistons, rods, ARP rod bolts
2) Aftermarket sleeves, forged pistons, rods, ARP rod bolts (a more conservative, expensive route)

You don't need cams to hit 400whp. The stock b16s will get you there. You also don't need to port and polish.

You're missing a few items from your list. You'll also need a new fuel pump (Walbro 255lph is drop in and the "go-to" for most), injectors (I'd do 1000cc), a full exhaust, and of course the full turbo setup.

I've never used Hondata but I have heard great things about it. If you decide on a less expensive option, there's always CROME.

As far as turbos are concerned, there are a million options that will net you 400whp. A properly sized turbo (coupled with a proper tune) will also give you a nice, smooth torque curve which will make the car more pleasurable to drive IMO. I love Garrett ball bearing turbochargers and typically recommend them, that's just my personal preference based on experiences I've had. For your setup, a GT2871R would work well but wouldn't leave a ton of room for more power. A GT3071R would work just as well, leaving a little more room for more power in the future.

Having done this before, my biggest piece of advice is don't skimp on parts. Spend the money the first time and do it right, especially when it comes to the tune.

Thanks for the great info and i know i wont need somethings for the 400whp goal but i want to over build it so that way i never have to worry about the motor i know i can take more but wont push it that far unless i have to kind of thing and i appreciate the feed back and i believe i already have the walbro fuel pump and after market injectors though i am not sure as to which ones the are because i bought the car like it is. I plan to dyno it before i do my build, i was waiting on the exhaust till i had the turbo figured out then go from there with the exhaust

I'd stay clear of the CX racing turbo. I know it's cheaper, but they typically don't last very long. Spend the money and do it right the first time. The top turbo *appears* to be a genuine Garrett, but also appears to be for a specific vehicle. It's also more expensive than the turbo I've linked below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARRETT-GT3...ash=item3d1259cc23:g:i78AAOSwDuJWybtu&vxp=mtr

Now, you'll be nearing the top of this turbo's capabilities if you decide to push for more power. If you feel like you're going to want more in the future, I'd go with a GT35R. It won't spool up as quickly, but will leave more room to grow in the top end.

Precision makes a great turbo as well. You can't go wrong with either.

Back