B18C4 (B18C1) Swap Problems, Wont Start but have Fuel and Spark

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If you've taken off the plug wires from the dizzy just make sure they are back on in the proper firing order, I took mine off and screwed it up putting them back on one time. Car wouldn't start.

What model and year of car?? Is the engine out of a matching year or obd?

Oh and make sure that your TPS and I think your MAP are plugged into the right sensor as well as your IACV and other sensors, they sometimes have the same plugs and can get mixed up if you didn't mark them when removing them from the old engine.

the leads are put back in the correct order
1-3-4-2

The car is a EK3 (uk) 1997 and the engine is from a MB6 (uk same engine as b18c1)

and i have checked all the connectors and they are all correct

cheers for your help though !

I have just noticed that when i switch my IGN on the main relay is clicking away (quite fast)

I have just tried another relay (known to work) and it is the same

I have read that this can be due to grounds but mine are all good

anyone got any ideas ?

i really have to agree with all that you've read. This sounds like a ground issue if you're getting spark and your timing is right and your fuel injectors are working. The only thing i can think would be that you have a bad ground...they seem to generate no start conditions when everything else looks ok to the naked eye

Basic shit is if you have a in time engine fuel and spark it should run.

This is way way far out there, but make sure you don't have any kill switches, i had one on my new motor from wherever they got it from and we couldn't figure it out. They had sniped the wires right up tight to the harness so we didn't see them, we just reconnected them and PRESTO car started up. The car had all the symptoms your dealing with. Kinda far out, but its worth a try.

Dang Kill switches.. That's how I got a Very nice/clean 87civ si. The alarm was going and the shop that traded for it couldn't figure it out and owner didn't want to pay his emps to search it down. I got it cheap, cut it all out and VVvvrrroooomm! (should have NEVRE sold that car)

Anywho, try and shoot just a little carb spray or starting fluid in just to see if it fires for a sec or two. That would eliminate electricity issues (maybe) and let you know it's fuel related.

Hey, Electronic nuts out there.. If a relay (MAIN) clicks really fast doesn't that mean the current is pulsing to it?
Because the contacts in a relay just either "open" or "close", 1-click either way right?
Closed= current is applied to the little electro-magnet to complete the circuit in the relay sending the higher current to the Item/motor ect..
Open= contacts inside are 'apart' or open shutting off flow..
SO, what is the main wire(s) that feed the Main-relay?
You don't think it could be a Ignition switch do ya?? Or a 're-setable' fuse might be inline to it? (sending current to relay to the point it overheats then 'clicking' off, over and over again. Kinda like a turn signal flasher

I know it's easier to try and diagnose from a computer, But I hope you figure this out.
It's probably something simple (well, after the fact)

E

x2 on what reikoshea said.

Check your grounds. Go to your local Car Audio store and pick up a 3ft piece of 4gauge wire, get two ends for it, and run a ground to the engine (typically to one of the nuts on the Valve Cover), see if that fixes it.

Got this running now
I changed the coil and it started straight away

but im still having a few wee problems
the car is running rough, it is like it is hitting a limiter and not revving very high when moving
It revs freely when stationary
I have no CEL`s so i don't think it is in limp mode

Another problem i have is the rev counter and speedo isn't working
the rev counter sits at about 1.5k when idling but if you touch the throttle it drops straight down
any ideas why it would be doing that ?

Now the battery light is on
but the battery was flat, i started it with a spare battery and a set of jump leads
So i am assuming this will go out when the battery is charged ??
I have it on charge now

Can any one help ???
I want to go out for a run !!!!!

she is going good now :)

The battery light was on because i forgot to put the altenator belt on (idiot!!!)
And i have set the timing and she is pulling strong now !

Speedo and rev counter now working aswell

:) :) :)

Back