B18c5 In 94 Civic Ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rmb2k

I have a 1994 civic ex. I would like to know the pros and cons of this idea I have. The current engine has close to 135k miles on it. What I would like to do is replace it with the B18C5. I have done a small amount of research and it seems that this is a direct swap. On the other hand my dad thinks that a turbo or supercharger would do just fine. My problem with that is I don't want to spend money on something for my engine since it has so many miles. What do you guys think? B18C5 vs. Turbo/Super charger??? how does the amount of hp compare with each choice?
Thanks
Ryan

c5's are wicked cool but $$$$$ and any swap has some complication that seems to make "drop-in" not apply,even v-8 swaps....on the other hand turbo or supercharging that D is not gonna give you the results you will like unless you put a huge turbo on,any B series is a good idea in my opinion very buildable.....spend more time reading about the pros and cons of these engines and the c5 might drop off your most wanted list for future upgrades,of course it is a beauty though

Originally posted by rmb2k@Jun 2 2003, 10:17 AM
B18C5 vs. Turbo/Super charger??? how does the amount of hp compare with each choice?

You can spend about $2k for a D-series turbo kit and have almost as much horsepower as the bone stock $4000 typeR motor. However, you will hit the limit much faster on how much HP you can squeeze out of the D16Z6. If you wanted to get a B-series later on, all you would need to get to set up the turbo kit for the new engine is a B-series turbo manifold and possibly upper IC piping(if you get a B18C). Go turbo now, get swapped later. Why spend the extra $2k when you might be happy with just a turbo? And IMO, it's much easier to bolt on a turbo kit than swap an engine.

plus i hope you wouldnt just throw a turbo on a motor that has that many miles, you would be asking for it to die then. get the r motor i think you would be happier in the long run and ofcourse more power can be made.

Back