b18c5 in a 95

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raiden571

i finally decided to go naturally aspirated but keep the power so im leaning toward the type r b18. ive researched several sites and swap shops in the area and i figure either i do it myslef or have a shop do it and either way it will cost around 4500 (correct me if im wrong). but if i do it myself will it be a hard swap. it is an obd2 and mine is an obd1-95 civic ex. im aware that the gsr swap is fairly easy in its obd1 form, but how about the c5. wrenching i can handle and lifting out the engine but technical shit like wiring and axles and things of that sort make me :angry: and frustrated and i fear destroying my newly bought engine and my car so that is why i am looking for a little guidance. have a legitament shop do the work, or do the deed myself, learn alittle and possibly fawk up.

wiring is not really a problem, the ITR is wired like obd1. Basicly, all you need to do is either

a) run a chipped p28 ecu. This ecu does not search for a knock sensor, which means, if your car is already wired for vtec, you have no wiring
B) run a del Sol VTEC ecu, or an obd1 b16 ecu, chip it for a higher redline, and diffrent fuel maps (basicly convert to ITR setings) and then treat the rest of the swap just like a obd1 swap.

for a little more indepth read some of the posts by this guy (second poster on this thread)

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=595648

go to honda-tech and in there FAQ's in the civic section, he has a even more indepth answer to it.

what was the p28 originally used in, the itr and also what do you mean by "chipped", just those performance chips that allow you to gain more power, or is it something dif?

P28 came from the 92-95 Si/EX (same motor) and no, chipping doesn't just mean some "performance chip", if refers to having the ECU reprogrammed to run a different motor, in this case going from spec'ed for a SOHC 1.6 to a DOHC 1.8, things like changing fuel cut off, rev limit, speed limit, air/fuel maps, different sensors like the knock he mentioned being left out of the program, etc...

Back