B18c5 Into A Del Sol Vtec Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89exi

A friend of mine wants to do this and wants to know how hard it is and what has to be done. Hes got a line on a complete engine, trany, ecu, axles, and wiring harness. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 10 2003, 06:53 PM
if it the same OBD it is plug - n - play

Well the engine he'd be getting is a 99 and his car is a 96, sorry i know nothing about obd. Please tell me more if you can.

yea they are both obd2 I believe. It should be a pretty easy swap. OBD is the emissions type of the engine, it makes a difference when swapping.

Alright thanks alot, um what about the mounts? Will he need different/modified ones, or will he be able to use the ones that are on his car.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 10 2003, 07:23 PM
you have to use integra mounts

Anything else he would need, other then the stuff i listed that comes with the motor.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Apr 10 2003, 08:11 PM
if it has a b16a3 in it , since you said it was a del sol VTEC then you can use the stock mounts.

Yes he has the del sol with the stock dohc vtec in it.

So the mounts will be good I take it. As far as the shift linkage, the motor comes with a trany so should he just use that one? If so then you shouldn't need to change the shift linkage right?

Any information on anything else you guys can think of would be great.

Ya,sorry about that,if he already has the B16 he can use that shiftlinkage and mounts.I was thinking D16Z6,since the DOHC's are spread pretty thin.

Alright thanks alot guys, sounds like it shouldn't be to hard. Now I just have to convince him to buy it :D

compleatly plug and play
pull out the B16A3 and Drop in the B18C5
should only take a few hours :)

heh, heh, heh,,,,

your friend is in for a RUDE awakening !!!!! I just put a '00 B18C1 into my '97 sol and you might FIT it into the bay in a day, but i'll guaran-damn-tee you, it will NOT be running by the end of that same day! The wiring system to the ECU for 98+ GSR's and '96+ del sols is a cryptographers DREAM!!!! My shop thought this was "a drop in swap" too..... Two weeks later, he figured out that there was a problem with that idea :lol It took him almost a week before he gave up and went out and bought an ECU from a '97 GSR and didn't use the '00 ecu. And the hoses???? oh, my, GOD!!! everything from the radiator hoses to the AC hoses was 100% in the wrong direction. He had to get them fabricated. The throttle body plate? He had to fabricate an adapter b/c the GSR is in a different place from the sol. He had to weld a piece in place between the downpipe and the cat b/c they're in different places. (you should be fine on the linkage, the del sol VTEC linkage is what i'm using). That's just some of the little "it's a piece of cake" issues he ran across. Mind you, my guy has done dozens of swaps on alot of different cars and he has a full shop to work with. He still had massive issues with this job.

Anyone who says this is a "just drop it in" swap is full of crap. Seriously, I just went through this nightmare and my shop labeled it "the swap from hell". He's had easier times putting H22s into Civics. The del sols are NOT like the Civics no matter what anyone tells you. Everything you do on them is different in terms of a swap. There's enough little differences to add up to a GIANT pain in the ass.

Believe me or don't. Either way, if you think this is going to be easy, just WAIT AND SEE :rolleyes:

LMAO :lol:

i had the engine in and running in 3 days (and this was my first swap)
and this was going into a 93 so i had to compleatly modify the harness
all of the hoses and shit i needed to use were from a Del Sol VTEC

he has an OBD-2 Del Sol VTEC
he wont have to fuck with the harness at all
he wont need to get new hoses
he wont need to use the ITR ECU
he wont need to worry about the AC mounts (if he decides to keep it)
he has the linkage he needs
the car is all set for an OBD-2 B series engine

If your friend decides to go with the type r b18c please let him know that I am in the market for a b16a for my sol. He can contact me at senecalouck@comcast.net if he hasnt found a buyer for his old motor.

Southern Sol you just got raped by a sho[p that didn't know what they were doing. For the $2000 you wasted you could have went with a Skunk 2 Intake manifold ( fixing all wiring issues) and a Hondata or AEM setup and tuned it. You just had a shop that knew you would pay, or didn't do your homework.

As for the actual question he was talking about a ITR motor, no secondary butterfly, no different than the B16 as far as wiring, AC lines etc...

plug n play... plus a few wires.. i love people that hire a shop to do something and neither know what the fuck theyre doing

Back