b18c5 or cheaper and turbo??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

I've got a '99 Civic Hb and I need a new motor. I've got an 8k budget, so I was thinking about getting a type-r motor. I'm not really looking to be a street racer or anything, I just want more power for my car. I also do some autocross events in my area. Would a c5 be a good choice or should I try a cheaper b18 and do a turbo. Any thoughts would help. Thanks!

Luke Moore

man with 8k you can what a type r turbo if yoy know what your doing or get a ls vtec and boost away

if you want a powerful auto cross car....get the c5 or gsr and spend the rest on ITB's nice cams, higher comp pistons and tune it....throttle repsonce and enough power that would be perfect for autox...IMO

So you guys think a c5 would be the way to go? I'll give that a shot. Is it true that you can't add much boost to a c5? Only like 4-5psi?? Is this because the high compression ratio or something related to the higher RPMs. Is there a point of getting a C5 if you're planning on doing internal mods? I'm sorry if I ask a lot of questions, I just want to get the engine that will be best for me. Does anyone know the stock specs of an '01 C5 motor?

Thanks again

if you're replacing all the internals of the type r, why get the type r? just get a gsr and rip that apart and rebuild to your hearts desire.

Where should I start shopping? Like I said, there are no local shops in this area that can get that motor. I've found prices from 4100 - 4600 and up. Reliability of the shop is a bigger factor than the cost. Let me know...

I'm shopping for a type r motor. I don't want to boost my car and I want the most power without doing any mods.

I'll check that site for a type r though.

THANKS!!

Has anyone bought a c5 over the internet before? Has anyone bought a motor over the internet and had any luck? Let me know where to start shopping. I've gotta get a motor up and running by mid march.

yeah dude, although i haven't personally ordered from there, my buddy got his c1 from them and it was in great condition, looked like it couldn't have had more than 30k on it- but like they said above, if you're gonna rip the ype r apart, why not spend less money and get the gsr and then fill it with all sorts of goodies like pistons and whatnot- just my 2 cents

:werd:

Autocross... stay all motor or run a small turbo that will be spooled all the time. Throttle response and control is your friend.

:D

:concur:

suspension and rim/tire upgrades along with weight reduction will help you in autocross more than power adders will
power is the last thing you should upgrade if you are setting up for autoX

Very very true. Engine mods will take you WAY up in the classes faster than mild suspension and tire ugrades... and make it MUCH harder to place. I don't stand a chance in autocross with my car.

:(

me either mang

fuck it

i can still rip some shit up on the road courses :D

Awesome guys, I'll order my c5 from them. I don't plan on taking it apart any time soon for internal upgrades. I believe switching the motor will take me way out of class, but then it opens me up to massive weight reduction and some other cool mod class perks. I'll order my motor in the next few days.

You guys are a great help :D

yeah a C5 in a hatch is nasty no matter how u look at it. but since you have the green LS/VTEC might be the way to go cause of the more torque. Then u can still boost the shit out of it :) , or even better for the autoX do a B20!!!!! mad torque

Man I wish I had 8000. I would love to have that much to spend on a motor. Go with the c5 if you have the money.

Back