b18c5: turbo or sc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bafbrian

Mentioned in another thread that I am getting a b18c5 from a friend. I am curious as to which would be better for daily driving, some racing ( key word: some ), and overall fun to drive. I am not looking for crazy amounts of boost something 5-9lbs for now bcuz I would rather not blow this motor up.

Thx

Edit: going in a 98 ek coupe.

Last edited:
Now here is something I found about the car.

My buddy put a pr3 head on it from his old b16 that he had before he blew it with a shot ( i think shots ) of nitrous. What kind of power gains would a b18c5 bottom and pr3 head make with either turbo or sc ?

thx

it will be the same as if the b18 head was still on there in the long run the turbo will make more hp and tork but you said you just wont some what hp with a dd so if thats what your wonting i would still stay with sc

I think the turbo would like VTEC more than the SC will.

In the boost range you want to run, I imagine a turbo kit may be cheaper per psi. Vortech kits are known to make around 11-12 HP\psi since last I heard, so that's a 280ish HP daily driven under pressure. That'll be fun for a DD, but I don't know how two of the same cars and motors would fair against each other in this situation when comparing power, economy, drivability, fun, etc... The SC would definetly be fun though, but I've loved every turbo car I've been in.

superchargers are gay plain and simple. you want a mild kit get a small turbo. the b16 head flow alittle less then the typer head. if you can get the type r cams from the other head i would say get them. one question though, how do you blow a head? most likely if the head is shot then the pistons will have problems too.

superchargers are gay plain and simple. you want a mild kit get a small turbo. the b16 head flow alittle less then the typer head. if you can get the type r cams from the other head i would say get them. one question though, how do you blow a head? most likely if the head is shot then the pistons will have problems too.

If I typed it wrong, I thought I said that my friend blew the b16 block. The motor swap in question will have a b18c5 bottom and pr3 head. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of getting the itr cams bcuz when he bought a few months ago, he bought a b18c5, forged pistons, rods, and new valves and retainers for the head. Which cams would be good for a n/a engine ? forced induction ?

I will going down there to check out the engine and see what it will cost me to get the swap done. I have thought about doing it, but I have been unable to find a decent write-up on the process. Anyone know of a good one ?

i might have miss read or something idk. itr cams are fine for na or fi ("01"+). its fairly straight forward swap. i would start with the best mounts (hasport) so you have no problems with motor mouts. hasport supplies direction with there mounts step by step. if the car is already vtec then just wire everything right up match the right obd dizzy to the car. just get the motor running and then i would worry about boost. so long story short buy the mounts, take your motor out, read supplied directions and install motor. also one more thing. you said he already bought the pistons, that would tell you n/a or fi.

i might have miss read or something idk. itr cams are fine for na or fi ("01"+). its fairly straight forward swap. i would start with the best mounts (hasport) so you have no problems with motor mouts. hasport supplies direction with there mounts step by step. if the car is already vtec then just wire everything right up match the right obd dizzy to the car. just get the motor running and then i would worry about boost. so long story short buy the mounts, take your motor out, read supplied directions and install motor. also one more thing. you said he already bought the pistons, that would tell you n/a or fi.

I think he bought some je or srp pistons that are low compression bcuz he did turbo this engine for some time, only a few months. said he was making little over 500whp. Guess I will see when I go done to Macon and check the engine out.

As before anyone know a place for a b18 swap guide ?

IMO, boosting a B18C5 is silly, at least without internals. If its on stock internals, that is such high compression for boost that the most i'd run on it would be 6-8, and I'm sure you would be very happy with that.
I'm not sure if I misread or don't understand what you're saying, but from the sounds of it he has bought l/c pistons for it.. if he has then i'd definetely boost it daily driven 10 psi. that would lay down some nice numbers.. especially with a nice flowing head.. b16 heads are pretty strong and flow fairly well.
Definetely stay away from the s/c though, very costly and hardly worth it.

6-8 psi means nothing at all. you tune for horsepower not psi. 8 psi on a 16g is differant then 8 on a gt42r

ok, well how about looking for 300whp outta the engine with a turbo ?

I am thinking that would seem possible with this motor and head. After doing some research I realize that a turbo might be a better choice bcuz of the ability to change and upgrade. Another being that with the lag of the turbo, my gas mileage wouldn't suffer as bad as compared to a sc were the boost is always there.

Anyone else got any thoughts ?

ok, well how about looking for 300whp outta the engine with a turbo ?

I am thinking that would seem possible with this motor and head. After doing some research I realize that a turbo might be a better choice bcuz of the ability to change and upgrade. Another being that with the lag of the turbo, my gas mileage wouldn't suffer as bad as compared to a sc were the boost is always there.

Anyone else got any thoughts ?
Turbo over SC anyday. Most of the kits I've been looking at for the c5 recommends only 5-7 psi anyway, so you shpouldn't ahve any problems just make sure u get it tuned proberly. Me myself I swapped from my boosted B16B to the B18C-R to go all motor so I've done some work to my motor already but for me to tubo it I'd have to drop in some lower compression pistons cause I'm sitiing at 12:1 right now. Another person on here with a C5 is JDMslut she has her's boosted at 12psi or so she says, but won't tell me how she did it or show me her numbers. Maybe you'll have better luck getting that info from here than I did

This is my setup right now:

2000 Civic Si, with a built 2000 Integra Type R engine.
Head is ported and polished,
Crower rods,
JE pistons
Skunk 2 stage 2 cams,
REV Valves springs and retainers,
skunk 2 intake manifold,
Act flywheel,
RPS six puck sprung hub clutch,
AEM adjustable cam gears,
AEM fuel rail,
STR cam seal,
K2 cold air intake,
throttle body spacer,
JDM type R 4-1 headers,
APC catback exhaust system.

6-8 psi means nothing at all. you tune for horsepower not psi. 8 psi on a 16g is differant then 8 on a gt42r
Yes I know. I was just saying that 6-8 is fairly safe on a stock motor, with a decent tune that would produce some good numbers.

lol i dont care if you believe me. well your right the head was lifting so i need headstuds thats all. stock clutch and all. it will be tuned for 240whp in the next few weeks.

Back