1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B18C6 frankenstein b20?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by dc2paul, May 6, 2010.

1. dc2paul

dc2paul New Member

Hi all,

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on my idea? I have a ukdm dc2 type-r with a b18c6, my crankshaft is wrecked and i was thinking about getting a b20b3 crv engine and making a b20 vtec with my b18c6 head etc.

i am thinking of this because i can get a b20 for way less than a crank and rods

What are the pros and cons to this performance wise? would you recommend it? any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

You get a slightly longer stroke- no major drawbacks if you build it correctly. I ran a B18A/B crank in my GSR block. If you can keep the GSR block and resleeve (if you're willing to fork out the cash) it's a good option. The B20 block is a good idea too- I ran two builds with a B20 bottom end. Upgrade the pistons and rods- especially since you're going to be inside the engine anyway.

3. dc2paul

dc2paul New Member

cheers buddy, just phoned my local dismantlers and they have a b20b3 complete 60k miles £350!! a steal!

4. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

you really need to upgrade the internals though if you plan on revving to 8k+ rpms. the b20 rod bolts are known to be a weak point and dont like high revs. ideally, some new pistons would be nice too, because the b20 bottom will give you a lower compression ratio in stock form.

5. dc2paul

dc2paul New Member

yeah been looking at wiseco pistons and eagle h-beam rods, arp main bolts, head studs and rod bolts, block guard, and acl race bearings. this would surely be a strong bottom end?? was thinking on using wiseco piston kit K594M84 with comp 13.2:1- 14.2:1? also would the girdle from my gsr block fit the b20 or do i need to buy an aftermarket one? And which timing belt kit do i need, still b18c?

Thanks Paul

6. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

sounds pretty good, but the compression is very high. you will need high octane gas for a CR over 13:1. also some big cams to feed it. for a street car 11.5-12.5 is a better area to shoot for i would think. i dont really think that a block guard will be necessary, it seems block guards can affect the cooling and arent worth the risk on an all-motor build. you arent going to be putting the cylinders under that much abuse. yes, the b18c timing belt will work.

7. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I don't think the girdle bolts right up- something about a different shape on the main caps. It's been a long time for me- I just know that I went with a sleeved GSR block instead of trying to adapt the main caps to my B20 block. Aftermarket girdles aren't that much though.

13:1 is about the highest I would go on pump gas, and that's only if you have a really good tuner and some really huge cams to help bleed off the compression through overlap.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted