B20/B16 build CRV/VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

artyk

I get a b20b block built up with a b16 head for my 94 CRX and the headgasket always leaks when we put the head on.

It leaks after about 30 - 60min at the back of the block where the headgasket is. You see the leak when you look through the intake manifold.

I am using ARP bolts and have tapped the external oil line and all is ok with this. the oil hole has been blocked with a set screw. The doewl pins have also been drilled.

The head has been taken off 3 times so far (very painful!! )
the first time i used a cometic b20 gasket - it leaked
2nd time i used the same gasket with honda bond - it leaked
3rd time used a honda b20 gasket and machined the head and leaked after 1hr

now the head is off and the machinist found the block is uneven by 002" - 003" and it has a bit off an aggresive cut to it. so out come the block and its being stripped and i write this. I have been told that the unevenss off the block is within factory specification and i am worried that once the block come back from the machinist it will do it again.

I have been told to ensure that the orifice o-ring is flat and is not pushed down all the way when the head is torqued down to which i havent done but it is not damaged so dont know if this the problem.. The head has been torqued down to about 75 -80.

My question to all the b20/vtec gurus out there is there something i am missing here cos i going crazy trying to get this crap (i will take back my words when it works) going?

I'd really appreciate some comments on this guys.

cheers
Artyk

being warped will cause it to leak , use a MSG gasket (multi layer steel) and its a 3 step torque and the final torque is 62 ft/lbs i think you stripped your block!!

Originally posted by turboB20hatch@Apr 27 2004, 09:05 PM
i dont think ur supposed to use a b20 head gasket at all try using a dohcvtec gasket

i would think if you had a car with a b20 you'd know better than to say something like this, first, you want to match the head gasket to the block, second, you can't use a dohc vtec gasket since all dohc vtec b-series have an 81mm bore and the b20 has 84mm, b20 is correct gasket, also, isn't a 3 step torque spec incorrect for ARPs?

theres not much info on doing this.. in that i mean if i do a search for b20/crv build problems i get jack shit...

just the usual, put the external line in, plug the oil hole and use the b20 gasket and magic it works!!!

Block is getting machined now....

when it gets put together and if it leaks again...
i may go a little nuts ~~~

Originally posted by artyk@Apr 28 2004, 07:43 AM

Block is getting machined now....

when it gets put together and if it leaks again...
i may go a little nuts ~~~

If you want, you can totally freak out, and send it to me. It won't cure the problems for you, but you won't have to look at the block anymore :)

Over torqueing is probably the cause of the leak. Torque figures are very important, especially when joining two surfaces that are supposed to contain liquids.

YEAH DUDE YOUR OVERTORQUEING IT. AND CRUSHING THE GASKET
ITS 3 STEPS TO THE SEQUENCE IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY , AND THE LAST FIGURE IS 62

http://www.hybridgarage.com/tech/manuals/EF-supplement.pdf

go there, you need adobe, once it loads:click engine,click cylinder head removal/installation, click installation. it has complet instructions and torque sequences for the b16 head. and you should use the b20 head gasket MLS from Honda, Mr Gasket makes a good one too.make sure your head studs are torqued properly as well...seen that before.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 28 2004, 11:02 AM
Good to see you got the Capslocks syndrome taken care of so fast.

naw he just calmed down

Back