B20/b16 build need help choosing good cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I really want to kno wat are some of the best choices for cams I'm thinking about itr cams or VTEC killer cams any sugestions

theres no way we can tell you what cams might work best without a lot more information. what is your complete motor setup?? picking cams is dependent on your compression ratio, and the overall breathing ablility of the engine, among other things.

im guessing you will need something mild, like itr cams....

The car is my daily driver and everything is stock from block to head but I also want to put at least a 15psi turbo later on maybe by next summer so that's y I wanted opinions for the cams:rimshot:

And no Toda VTEC killer camshafts if you plan on turbo. Pretty sure they are only for N/A set ups.

I have heard good things for Blox camshafts....can't really say much in terms of their capabilities on a turbo set up.

If you plan on a Daily Driver, I would suggest any type R cam set up, Blox stage 1 or Skunk2 Stage 1. You can get away with the stock valve springs with them if you don't raise the rev limit.

Anything bigger/more aggressive needs upgraded springs....and IMO, socketed ECU/tune with rev limit lifted to 8.5-9Krpm's, (and to go the extreme) bump the compression up (if all motor only or lower the compression some for a turbo set up), a port/polish head with a matched intake manifold, injectors, and a matching throttle body.

If you are starting small (like me), Type R camshafts can produce good power out of a B20 Frankenstein (from dyno sheets I've read).

You should research it but I don't think B20's are the best B-series bottom end candidate for a turbo set up (can't verify first hand just from forum readings)

To be honest, I would worry more about that bottom end of the B20 first and foremost. Get a balanced (micro-poilshed) crank for sure and (at least) have the bearing clearance plasti-gauged. Shot peen the rods or get performance ones. And I'm sure you know to run ARP rod bolts and head studs.

Others say different but I think Frankenstein set ups are temperamental and caution should be used when building one for longevity.

I have also heard that b20 bottoms are not the best choices for boost Because of the fact that they can't handle high revs or compresiom very well and I have also heard that they aren't very reliable on terms of long life use

I have heard the same thing but it just really depends on how well it is built. If it is done with the right parts then yeah it can be reliable and hold boost.

i just responded to your PM with some more info.

Back