b20 build up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b20kid

ok im build a b20 bgest but i wanted to knoe has anyone built the same motor an how high have u gone on the rpm cuz im looking too see if its possible too build a motor too rev at 11,ooo rpm ??? an if soo wat would i need too doo ???:lol:

b20kid said:
an if soo wat would i need too doo ???:lol:

Capitalize, spell correctly, and use proper punctuation?

I ran my B20 to 9000 with forged pistons, rods, a balanced rotating assembly and a very precisely selected set of bearings. 11k is not a target you want to go for on a B20.

i tend to agree with cal (as always) a b20 is a good platform, but its not a great one for reaching the 11k mark. Its definitely good to boost, maybe turn into a b20 vtec, but a ported b20 head with good cams oversized valves and some high comp pistons is nothing to shake a stick at.

Ive never really done the b20 thing, so i dont know if you can use a b16 or GSR IM, but from what i hear that thing flows like shit and once you get rid of it you free up quite a bit of power.

Turbo B20s are definitely a fun little toy.

No, you can not use a b16/itr/gsr intake manifold on a B20 w/stock head as the head is the same as the LS. You can as you may know use any b series header/manifold though. You wouldnt be able to use the stock b20 Im anyway, becuase the hood would smash into it.

Please realize when you say "ported b20 head" youre essentially saying "ported LS head" as they are the same. There is one head that rivals a stock VTEC [in design, maybe not performance stock for stock] head such as the b16 or gsr. That would be the P8R. The P8R has 84mm combustion chambers [not volume, but diamater] versus the P75 which is 81. Aside from this they have larger intake ports as well as VTEC sized intake valves [33mm]. finding a P8R is hard and when you youre going to pay about the same as a b16 head.

I built a B20/VTEC a while back, and made power to around 10,500rpm...keep in mind that's with tons of mods, and cams that make power that high, and valvesprings and retainers that can hold those high of rpm's...

b20's have tons of potential if you take your time and build them right.

civicious said:
I built a B20/VTEC a while back, and made power to around 10,500rpm...keep in mind that's with tons of mods, and cams that make power that high, and valvesprings and retainers that can hold those high of rpm's...

b20's have tons of potential if you take your time and build them right.

Its like that old carpenters saying 'measure twice, cut once.' meaning, take your time plan your build, mods and goals and you should do pretty well.

Back