b20 crank in a b18c block will it fit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicext

whats going on every one?? well i am about to do a motor biuld up and i am doing a strocker motor with a turbo.. did not know if a b20 crank will fit in a b18c block or if it dos do i have to make the deck hight taller?? if any one knows hit me up :ph34r:

It will fit. Just make sure to use the B20 length rods and to clearance your bearings again. The B20B/Z blocks have the same deck height as the B18A/B/C blocks.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 16 2004, 05:00 PM
And in case you are wondering, B16 pistons won't fit....

:ph34r:
[post=403475]Quoted post[/post]​

They will in a GSR block...

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 16 2004, 05:00 PM
And in case you are wondering, B16 pistons won't fit....

[post=403475]Quoted post[/post]​

They will fit in most all B-series blocks (except B20 and B21)

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Oct 18 2004, 06:28 AM
sohcslammer doesn't know shit from shine ..he is a dork with 1000 plus posts who obviously didnt read enough faq's or tech posts .. dont listen to him make sure you actually talk to someone who has built a engine unlike SOHCSLAMMER .. dont let his car knowledge(or lack there of) fool you... b16 pistons will fit a b18 they are teh same bore !!!
[post=404042]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with Pheonix.

SOHC you need to stop giving bad info, you're making us San Diegans look bad.

he meant in a b20. don't get him wrong. and quit roastin' on him. everyones got there own knowledge of something.

why are you swapping to a b20 crank. can someone back me up that they aren't as balanced as the b18c's

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Oct 18 2004, 06:28 AM
sohcslammer doesn't know shit from shine ..he is a dork with 1000 plus posts who obviously didnt read enough faq's or tech posts .. dont listen to him make sure you actually talk to someone who has built a engine unlike SOHCSLAMMER .. dont let his car knowledge(or lack there of) fool you... b16 pistons will fit a b18 they are teh same bore !!!
[post=404042]Quoted post[/post]​

lol > Not reading enough tech posts lol . . . . . but i can see how his avatar/sig could fool the average layman.

:owned:

Originally posted by Arachnid@Oct 18 2004, 08:44 PM
he meant in a b20. don't get him wrong. and quit roastin' on him. everyones got there own knowledge of something.

why are you swapping to a b20 crank. can someone back me up that they aren't as balanced as the b18c's
[post=404424]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, the original poster wasn't interested in using a B20 block at all.... just the crank.

I have no idea about the balancing aspect- I always get my stuff balanced at the machine shop before assembly anyway, so it's never mattered to me. I would recommend the same to anyone else putting an engine together- get the entire rotating assembly balanced.

well the reason i wanted to switch to a b20 crank is to get torque #up when i get ready to do my motor build up in jan.. i been looking at some # with people who have done b20/vtec swaps, i found some on h/t but over all they were ok#. i may or not do it, still thanking about it! there was one that had good # but i have to find that post again. but like i said i doing it for torque # :ph34r:

The b20 crank will only add minimal torque to the b18c crank, since the differences in the stroke are minute. Why not just use a b18c crank and spin the engine up a little more? You'll not have AS much torque, but unless you are a serious racer, you probably won't notice it. If you want more torque, rather than fooling with the rotating mass of the crank, why not just bore the cylinders out a couple extra mil? That would be my advise. The b18c crank is just a better designed crank for the type of driving you will probably be doing, as the b20 crank was not designed with high performance in mind. That said, you can make a b20 crank rev really well, it just takes more work, and it you have the gsr crank already, might as well use it. Just my two cents.

well on the crank i was going to use a after market crank from eagle and have it knife edge so when i hit the gas it spins up quick.. for the car it self i am setting it up as a street car, plus i am going to take it to the track when i can..

thanks for the advice mike i may stay with the gsr crank...

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 16 2004, 07:27 AM
As far as I know, knife-edging a crank on a street car doesn't do much of anything.
[post=417620]Quoted post[/post]​

knife edging a crank in a street driven vehicle is a good way to shorten the life of your motor if you don't plan on replacing the bearings with every oil change. Like replacing the crank pulley, removing that much mass off a crank is going to lessen the internal damping of the rotationg assembly, because there will be less mass to soak up the vibration. Your motor will definitely benefit from this if you plan on only tracking your car, and rebuilding the motor after every race, but you don't look to be heading that direction. Look to lower MOI about the crank by using a lighter flywheel and clutch asssembly. Another way Exedy lowers MOI is by making a clutch/flywheel combo that has a smaller outside diameter. I'm not sure if these would be applicable in your situation, but is a much more sensible road compared to knife edging the crank.

thanks guy for the info it help out alot... after x-mas is over i am going to be starting my build up on my motor.. it gives me some ideals on wich way to go with the build up.. plus i going keep every one up dated on how its going..

thanks every one

Back