b20 into 89 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pizzadeliveryboy

I haven't been able to find much on the b20 swap for the 88-91 civic. any info on this would be a great help. i just bought an 89 civic hatch, and want to go b20 with possibly vtec or turbo, not both.

where can i go (internet) to find the swap?

what model/year car does the swapable engine come from?

how much will it cost when completed?

have any of you done this???

i have o b2o in a 91 crx heres the list

you need to
get
90-93 interga ls/rs/gs
trans
flywheel
axles
intake manifold
ecu
you will need to do dpfi to mpfi conversion
hasport mounts and shiftlinkage
hammer to make it fit
and whoo knows what else

It's basically like swapping an LS (B18A/B) into the CRX.

You'll also need the distributor from an OBD0 integra.

ok but what car do you get the b20 from? a prelude? those engines are old w/ high miles, any other option? and wtf is who knows what else?

possibly he may have over looked things and wanted you to do a damn search.

teh donor car of the B20 isnt really a car, its a small SUV... the CRV 96-00 B20B or B20Z...

not the crx but the crv... just a simple typo. But dont get the b20's from preludes they are horrible. Maybe you should research more about hondas and the pros and cons to each swap. There are plenty of motors out there that all have different benifits. Just because it is a big motor doesnt mean it is faster. just my .02

the b20/21a from the old preludes are sortof bastard motors, they share very little in common with other b series motors and are not interchangeable. the mounts are different, the head stud locations are different, etc. you dont want one of those motors. as brian said, you need one from a crv.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Sep 10 2004, 12:24 PM
not the crx but the crv... just a somple typo. But dont get the b20's from preludes they are horrible. Maybe you should research more about hondas and the pros and cons to each swap. There are plenty of motors out there that all have different benifits. Just because it is a big motor doesnt mean it is faster. just my .02
[post=388580]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for catching that, man.

Originally posted by pizzadeliveryboy@Sep 9 2004, 06:07 PM
ok but what car do you get the b20 from? a prelude? those engines are old w/ high miles, any other option? and wtf is who knows what else?
[post=388211]Quoted post[/post]​

If you want to learn what the 3rdgen prelude can do go to www.preludepower.com they aren't that bad i have the jdmb20a with 145hp stock but i have headers,intake,act clutch,shortshifter. they have done b16 heads with that engine not easy but it can be done, they have also gone turbo.

ok yeah i understand the swap is best done with a 96-00 crv, my friend did that swap into his 98 civic, but with an 88-91 wouldn't there be OBD problems? the 96-00 motor is obd 2 and 88-91 is obd 1.

am i correct on this, or should i just need the same things as my friend used for his 98?

The 88-91 is non-OBD. 92-95 was OBD1, and 96-00 was OBD2. You won't be doing the same things that your friend did with his 98. Get the sensor hardware from a 90-91 Integra B18, and you'll be fine with the new B20. You might need (probably definitely) the shorter intake manifold from the Integra to clear the Civic hood too.

Back