b20 questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I was reading on some website that the stock b20z pistons don't have enough valve relief to account for a VTEC head. Does this mean that in order to do a b20vtec one would have to rebuild the bottom end? Would stock b16 pistons (pr3 right?) work, or does the b20 have a greater bore. I was thinking of putting my b16 head on a b20 block.....but I'm not sure what this entails. I tried searching and got some bullshit about using words less than 3 letters; which, btw, is REALLY FUCKING ANOYING!!!!

b20 has a much greater bore its 2.0 with a 84mm i think b20 needs custom internals i would say

b20= 84mm bore. b16/b18= 81mm bore. wont work. you either need to have the pistons very carefully ground out (bad idea) or get aftermarket forged units (good idea).

There is enough clearance for a B16 head onto a B20B/Z block, honda tuning did this with there 13 sec Four door.

What do you mean, you would need to replace the pistons in the LS. Putting PR3 pistons in an LS results in a bump in compression. Something like 11:1.

I didn't know if the valve releifs on b18b pistons would be big enough to accomodate a vtec head. Thats what I meant.....I'm also still a little shady on using stock b20z pistons. Can anyone conferm that stock b20z pistons work?

Originally posted by ktanaka@Nov 3 2004, 12:21 PM
I didn't know if the valve releifs on b18b pistons would be big enough to accomodate a vtec head. Thats what I meant.....I'm also still a little shady on using stock b20z pistons. Can anyone conferm that stock b20z pistons work?
[post=411212]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe there is enough room for the valve releifs I am running a gsr head on mine and i have room. As for the pistons you should be allright....it's all about tuning get it all tuned right to perfection and u should be able to run 8200 rpm's like nothing.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Nov 2 2004, 11:01 PM
There is enough clearance for a B16 head onto a B20B/Z block, honda tuning did this with there 13 sec Four door.

What do you mean, you would need to replace the pistons in the LS. Putting PR3 pistons in an LS results in a bump in compression. Something like 11:1.
[post=410914]Quoted post[/post]​

dude did you read the final installment? they blew the motor because the valves were hitting and they spun a couple of bearings then rebuild the bottom.

Thats what I thought....now how about a b18b bottom end? Does that have enough valve relief?

Heres the situation, b20 will be able to have enough clearence with the vtec head with a redline at 8000, but you CANNOT TOUCH THE CAM GEARS OR CAMS without a risk, an option which no one mentioned is to have the pistons "notched" basically deeping the valve reliefs, i payed 150 for that, tapping the oil line, and torqueing the head on my setup, this stock b20b with a stock type R head is making 200hp and 145 at the wheels on my car, its a good way to go

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Nov 3 2004, 06:31 PM
Heres the situation, b20 will be able to have enough clearence with the vtec head with a redline at 8000, but you CANNOT TOUCH THE CAM GEARS OR CAMS without a risk, an option which no one mentioned is to have the pistons "notched" basically deeping the valve reliefs, i payed 150 for that, tapping the oil line, and torqueing the head on my setup, this stock b20b with a stock type R head is making 200hp and 145 at the wheels on my car, its a good way to go
[post=411651]Quoted post[/post]​

im running 11.3 but im not n.a and im four doors... definatly go forged that way you dont have to worry later that you wasted your money and will have to go rebuy pistons for application .. always think ahead to what you want the final build to be .. na , turbo , or what not so you can buy the right stuff the first time

Well, I wanted a simple project to boost my displacement. If I have to rebuild the engine I'm going to say "fuck it." I don't care THAT much, but I would really like to get some more torque. If I can find a cheap b20b or b18b block in a yard arround here for cheap, I may get it. We'll see.

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy+Nov 3 2004, 04:10 PM-->
brian11to1
@Nov 2 2004, 11:01 PM

dude did you read the final installment? they blew the motor because the valves were hitting and they spun a couple of bearings then rebuild the bottom.
[post=411428]Quoted post[/post]​

It ran didnt? lol...

B204dr lets see some build specs...

Originally posted by brian11to1+Nov 4 2004, 12:57 PM-->
Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Nov 3 2004, 04:10 PM
brian11to1
@Nov 2 2004, 11:01 PM

[post=411428]Quoted post[/post]​

It ran didnt? lol...

B204dr lets see some build specs...
[post=411944]Quoted post[/post]​

yea after they notched the pistons and rebuilt it. but its better too spend like 150 now then replace bearings and shit later. plus you only have to build it once.

Originally posted by b204dr+Nov 4 2004, 09:58 AM-->
im running 11.3 but im not n.a
[post=411807]Quoted post[/post]​
Did anyone else catch this?

This is his setup... via a PM

b204dr
@Nov 4 2004,02:47 PM
garret t3/to4e turbo .60 a/r housing 57 trim wheel turbo , greddy ss blow off 12 lbs spring , tial waste gate (dont remember spec think 50mm) custom fab turbo mani done bye s&s minneapolis identical to most ram horn designs 1/8" thick wall 4-1 merge collector
1 1/2" 304L equal length runners the . just running an fmu and 6 lbs of boost. the motor pr3 head type r cam shafts (itr ex ctr intake) ferrea valves arp head studs cometic head gasket ctr crank shaft and end caps skunk2 cams nothing done with cylinder walls or pistons yet..which is why boost is low!

Sounds, odd to me.

Back