B20 Rods

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohcslammer

I'm just wondering what stock B20 rods are safe up to. 8 grand? 9? I am putting a B20 in the next civic, B16 head and 7-8 pounds of boost. Eventually I will sleeve it and drop in some forged 9:1s. My question is, the B16 head will most likely be built long before the bottom end. In fact, I plan on bolting a built B16 head on a totally stock B20 bottom and boosting it for a few months. I'll start out at 6.5 psi and eek it up from there.

So running a STOCK B20 with a B16 head, ARP studs, Ti valvesprings and retainers, and some aggresive cams. What can I SAFELY run it up to before the rods give out? What do stock B20s even redline at?

Calesta, Brian, anyone from Importbuilders? I know you guys will tell me around 7,000 but I am just curious for opinions. Thanx in advance guys... :worthy:

no way. it make make it a few fulls here and there, but i wouldn't even consider it for doing it daily

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 16 2004, 12:20 PM
no way. it make make it a few fulls here and there, but i wouldn't even consider it for doing it daily
[post=391113]Quoted post[/post]​

Brian - WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? It make make? a few fulls? Are you drunk???? :p

Are you saying that is too much boost or too high of an rpm? Take another shot and try again. :lol:

fulls = pulls.

im at work... i wish i was drunk. lol

the stock b20 won't hold 9k stock- let alone with a turbo kit.

IMO, you're doing it backwards. its easier to add things ONTO the block in the car.

build the block first. drop it in
later, get the turbo kit.
next, get it tuned.

if you are still not happy with the power you are making, get retuned for more boost.

when you hit 300+ whp on a stock b20/ls head, thank me for saving you a dick load of money.

a sleeved b20 is an easy 300hp setup with proper management.

Word. I was actually going to just drop in a totally stock b20 and turbo it first. 225whp aprox.

I now work at a speed shop and own 9K Racing so I get ridiculous prices on parts EXCEPT for the sleeves. AEBS sleeves, forged pistons, and rods are a little out of my price range right now. Thanx for the input though, I guess I'll just run a tuned stock b20 with boost for a while. :thumbsup:

yeah no need to do head work and aggressive cams if you are going to boost. You are going to want a strong block first.

Just go with an LS block if you planning to boost. The LS block will be able to handle more boost in stock form and once your motor is sleeved it doesn't matter what is was before (B16,GSR, B20, LS, etc...). They all start out at 81mm and if you want more displacement you just bore it out. The stock B20 sleeves sucks balls when it comes too bost and you will more than likely crack a sleeve, yes you will make more power because if displacement, but it won't be safe. It's also more expensive to sleeve a B20 block because of the funky sleeve design.

Oh and to kinda answer your question I know 3 people that rev their LS/Vtecs to 8500 rpms without problems (stock LS rods). Just make sure you have the vtec oil pump and whatever else you need to do. The rod/stroke ratio on an LS isn't too far off from a GSR either. If the LS block has a ton of miles on it though I might be worried a bit.

Thanx for the input guys. Believe it or not, I'm not a newbie. I know the difference between a B20 block and an LS block. I also know what sleeves are and what headwork does.

Say you make 200whp at 7000 rpms in a boosted B20 motor. What happens when you take it up to 8000 rpms? Oh, yeah. You make more horsepower.

So my question was - how safe do you THINK the b20 rods are safe to? I know all about the "supposed" weak cylinder walls of the B20, and I'm pretty sure I know what aggressive cams do. I am building this motor for IDRC next year. Because of my budget and my discount, I can build the head for next to nothing. Also if I plan on running a VTEC (not VTECH) head in the future, it kind of defeats the purpose to spend ANY money on the B20 head/IM/throttle body etc... If you read my very first post, you will see that I thought the rods are fine up to 7 grand. I just wanted opinions. And if anyone else brings up rod/stroke ratio ... :ban:

ls and b20 rods are pretty much the same damn thing

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 17 2004, 06:54 PM-->
ls and b20 rods are pretty much the same damn thing
[post=391696]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd. B18a/b and B20b/z have the same bottom ends, except the B20's have 84mm pistons and the monolithic 1 piece sleeve design. So I guess if the LS rods can take 8500 rpms, the B20 rods should be able to take it too. The weak part of the rod is the rod bolts... http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=rods

sohcslammer
@Sep 17 2004, 06:19 PM
I know all about the "supposed" weak cylinder walls of the B20

There not "supposed" to be weak, they ARE weak. I personally know one person that has cracked their B20 sleeves and he knows 4 other guys locally that have cracked their sleeves with boost or nitrous.

shadnizzle...check out my post and help me out if you can, the ZC is gonna go to sleep soon...

the b20s are strong motors im runing a 125shot on mine now and its holding up fine. you just have to tune it and you will be good to go. talk to celesta about stock b20 sleves and as far as the rods go. i would replace the bolts and take it to 8500 or so i know some one that takes his lsvtec to 9k all day and t hasnt ben touched but he is playing with fire and he knows it.

Originally posted by sia+Oct 11 2004, 04:31 PM-->
shadnizzle...check out my post and help me out if you can, the ZC is gonna go to sleep soon...
[post=401259]Quoted post[/post]​

Huh? Reviving dead threads for what?

97hatch
@Oct 11 2004, 05:06 PM
the b20s are strong motors im runing a 125shot on mine now and its holding up fine. you just have to tune it and you will be good to go. talk to celesta about stock b20 sleves and as far as the rods go. i would replace the bolts and take it to 8500 or so i know some one that takes his lsvtec to 9k all day and t hasnt ben touched but he is playing with fire and he knows it.
[post=401266]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't know anything personally (first hand) about running stock rods at 9k. The sleeves are fine if you're not a retard.

Bringing dead threads back for the sake of adding zero value comments is a bad thing. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Thread locked to prevent further post whoring.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back