B20 swap complications

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

camelian

I got a '99 EX Coupe and recently dropped a '00 B20Z in. I didn't get a VTEC head because I originally intended to just turbo the block w/out a head swap. Problem is, no OBD2 ECU is compatible with the engine. Texas is big on emissons and it would be a hassal to get fake tags every year, since I intend on keeping the car. The shop that did my b20 swap (Intercrew) wants 1650 for complete b16 head swap including parts/labor. Is this worth it? I know heads run ~500-600 on ebay.. A turbo kit only costs about $1k does much more in comparison. How much does a typical head swap, namely b20-->b16 cost? Difficult for DIY?

-cam

where in texas are you from? im from lufkin, and i've never had any kind of emissions test run

He's in Dallas / Ft Worth. That's actually a good price on the head swap- he's quoted people much higher before.

Are you sure you can't just run down Harry Hines and get an inspection?

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to. I wouldn't mind a VTEC head swap though, just wondering how it is in comparison with turbo. Phil said he knew someone that could get me fake tags for 80.

80 is the going rate around Dallas. The VTEC head swap is really nice and smooth.. and for $1650 he'll have you running and debugged. With a $1000 turbo kit, you're still going to have a lot of hidden expenses that you're not seeing with just the purchase price of a kit (or custom build).

Of course you're not going to get as much overall power as a turbo on your engine, but the power curve from the B20/VTEC combo really has to be driven to be appreciated. It's nice having your power all the time, and not have to wait for boost, or worry about maintaining all the extra stuff that's in your engine bay.

80 bucks for fake tags?! jesus....

just spend 20 worth of gas, drive to East Texas, and get it inspected. I just got mine inspected right before i did my swap, i was running open header with no cat, and they didnt even say anything about it.

Back