B20 swap with GSR transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97reddelsol

I know this is old. Super sorry for bringing up an old thread. But had a few questions and i couldnt find out how to send SolDriver a PM.
But im doing a b20z swap with a gsr trans into a 97 del sol. And it sounds like you did the same swap. Please pm me or something.
Thanks Jayden

:moved: you to another thread.

First, welcome to Hondaswap Jayden. You'll have to have more posts before you can PM someone.

Second, Hondaswap is a FORUM. Not a private message board. I will be more than happy to give you one on one advice about building your specific engine setup, but I'll also be more than happy to charge you my fully burdened engineers' rate of $250 an hour too.

So...

USE the forum. Post your questions and let people answer them, and let other newbies learn from your thread too just like how you were reading old posts by someone else.

And now, not knowing what questions you were going to ask- I'll just take a stab and tell you that a B20B/Z onto a GSR transmission is just like any other swap with a B non-VTEC engine and B transmission.

Thats what i expected about the pm's. But time is a problem you know. ha so im trying to figure everything out quick so i can get my car ready for CCM.
But the motor is a JDM B20B 99-01 so teh one with high compression. And i have a gsr trans and a blox manifold for the clearance issues. And im really just wondering what Flywheel and clutch to use. And can i use my D16y8 harness and just a OBD1 LS P75 ecu with a jumper or can i use a OBD2 LS ecu and just not plug up the knock sensor.
And thanks again for your help and everyone on here. Sorry i dont have the 250 dollhairs you requested.

You can make either ECU work. Knock sensor not hooked up will throw a CEL code.

I would run the OBD1 P75 ECU and jumper harness (OBD2-OBD1)

Your D16Y8 harness is fine. Just won't hook up the VTEC plugs (oil pressure and solenoid plugs)

I "believe" all plugs clip into the B20 sensors/etc. Little worried about the distributor but you'll notice if they dont look the same. See what you got.

Started looking around and came to the conclusion tat I should just get a obd2 gsr harness. That sound correct?
Jumper harness for OBD2 to OBD1 and a LS P75 ECU

Also what flywheel do I go with one for the gsr or b20 or does it matter. And clutch? Just get one for the gsr?

your best bet for the harness will be so just modify your stock one to fit the B20
ecu plan sounds fine
flywheel and clutch are the same, buy for GSR to avoid confusion

What all would have to be modified on my harness?
By the way it is an auto D16Y8 harness. My sol was auto when I bought it. I did a 5sp swap. Only had to change a few wires and it worked fine with my old set up. But not sure if it being auto matters at all.

And thanks about the clutch info. I'll order it all from my bro who works at Honda.

SO IF ANYONE NEEDS PARTS LET ME KNOW I'LL SEND YOU HIS WAY. Discount and he cares about the Honda and Acura car community. Try to help everyone out.
Thanks Jayden

I agree wih E...modify original....if needed. I know most (if not all) plugs should be fine. But others should chime in about the Civic having a auto engine harness.

Little worried that the B20 was auto and the flywheel is different. And I believe the Flywheel bolts for them are different (length wise) from auto to stick.

But you can get clutch kits with flywheels (I've owned a Fidanza)

Can't run a OBD2 GSR harness.....it's a two piece harness and I thought all OBD2 Civics were one piece.

Last edited:
No the b20 is manual. My d16y8 was auto until I did a 5sp swap. So the oem harness is meant for an auto. Sorry didn't explain well enough

Yup, and you see how many responses you got since I was online? I have a full time job you know. :)

hahah yeah ive been on many forums just this is the only one ive found anybody with info on the whole B20 and all.
And i know what you mean i work 9-7 everyday but sunday. :bonk:

Can't run a OBD2 GSR harness.....it's a two piece harness and I thought all OBD2 Civics were one piece.

the del sol actually kept the 2 piece in 96 and 97 while the civics went 1 piece
so the GSR harness should work

though i have to ask... if you are going to buy a harness... why not get an LS harness? (probly cheaper) planning a VTEC conversion down the road?

Yeah my plan is to a B20V so just making sure that would be a good route and make usre everything will work.

But that's later down the road. For now I just want to get the motor in my sol and running right.
JDM B20B 99-01
97 gsr trans
Gsr harness
OBD1 LS ECU P75
Jumper harness for OBD2A to OBD1
Axles with half shaft
Oem clutch and pressure plate
Fidanza 7.5 lb flywheel
Aluminum radiator
All OEM Honda fluids
Let me know if I missed anything, that the list of things I have or am buying this weekend once I get paid tomorrow.
Really just want to do this perfect the first time so unlike my last swap I'm not buying stuff while working on the car and stuff like that.
Thanks Jayden

I have never owned a Del Sol....but I've read that Integra shift linkage don't work and you need Del Sol VTEC (B16A3) linkage.

Hopefully others chime in.

If Integra shift linkage works....I got one for sale :thumbsup:

Did a quick search....seems that Del Sol VTEC is the option. Integra linkage comes up around 4" short.

hmotorsonline.com or call them and ask for Steve. They are the best in the industry IMO.

yes you need to use the linkage for a Del Sol VTEC (came with a B16A)
and :werd: on Hmotors, cant say enough good thinga about them... Steve is a top notch guy

Just called Steve at HMO for you.

$150 used (complete with shifter)

$155 new but it's just the two bars...no shifter. He says you can use a D-series shifter

He's got (as of today) one used set and two new sets.

Another thing.....what about mounts in a Del Sol? In 92-95 Civics....all the D-Series mounts work except the rear trans mount.

What mounts came with the B20?

Back