b20 technical advise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b20crx

I am a honda noob and am trying to do my homework the best I can and have learned quite a bit. However, one thing I don't see to much of is wiring how to's. I have an 89crx dx that I am installing a b20 vtec set up and I was wondering if there was a guide to wiring. Will my new engine harness plug into my old interior harness? If not what wires do I have to splice. I was going to get the b16 harness and computer out of the car that I get the head from (I have junkyard connections and am pulling all my own stuff), but if I pull the entire harness, including the interior harness, will it still run my tach and everything else associated with it? My last car was an SRT-4 and before that it was my dodge charger so I'm not too familiar with this make. When I get the block, I do understand the diff between the b20b and b20z, but for the b16 head, what years and models do I pull them from? Any help would be great guys. I do have experiance in wrenching and actually work at a dealership but it is a toyota/gm dealership so the techs won't help me unfortunately. And do I have to convert to cable tranny? It would seem logical that I would have to and this project is looking a little pricey just because of the mods to the engine mounts and trans cable if it's necessary. I am probably going to buy another crx just to drive in the mean time. I have my eye on an 87, also, are those good platforms to swap into? I haven't gone to look at it yet, but will next weekend.

alright. things have changed a little bit. I have to get the rex up and running pretty soon I think. So I bought this thing as a project, and it was going to be my little fun car. Low and behold, a couple months after the purchase, my wife finds out she's pregnant. So all my toy moneys probably going to go into having a new baby. Now I had my heart set on a b20 vtec and I have access to just about all the parts. Like I said, I am going to pull all my parts this weekend. If it takes me too long to get the new motor in there though, it almost seems like I will not be able to get it running. I looked at the wiring guide for going to mpfi, but is it a ton harder to modify it to take a b-series? I would really like to get a fairly stock b20 vtec in there for now, but my question for you guys is do you think that is a good idea? I would like to see it running within the next month and I am on a very low budget. Can I get decent horse our of a d series motor? I am used to 260hp out of my srt-4 and I would like my rex to be at least comparable. The weight advantage is huge, but I don't want to bog down going up hills either. What do you guys think?

turbo the d-series motor you can go for around 250 hp stock internals. I don't know exactly how much the viatara pistons would cost to get them machined to fit in the motor but with those, and forged rods you could easily handle 300-350 if not more. Next time you go to a junkyard look for a t28 turbo, and bov from a mitsubishi eclipse, buy an adapter plate, which will fit on your exhaust manifold now, and buy an oil line kit, and an intercooler with piping and there ya go. That turbo is rated at anywhere between 8.5 to 15 psi depending on the car you get it from. decent setup that will cost you around the same as a crv/vtec swap, with a lot less down time. do the research, collect the parts and slap that thing on with a good tune and have it running good within a weekend.

cool, so d series huh? I was looking at them and trying to decide on which d is the best. There is a b series non vtec that came in the integras and it ran something like 138hp stock. Any advise on what kind of car to pull the block from? Now keep in mind, I have nothing in the car as it sits. It is a shell. I want to make as much fit as possible, for example the trans shift linkage. I like the d series idea because I can throw it in and stock pile the turbo stuff like you said. I don't have exhaust, axles, motor mounts, radiator, fan, it's empty. So I'm starting from scratch. Let me know what ya think. My plan was to look for an si motor but I saw the dohc d series in the teg and thought that might be a better platform.

Back