B20 turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

O.K., so i've done a little bit of reaserch and I am thinking of not going vtec on the new build. Obviously a vtec motor will make more power over all but I'm not shooting for 450+ whp. Eventually I will fully build the motor with sleeves, forged pistons and shit and pump in like 20 psi.

My question is - are the b20b sleeves too weak to boost 6-8 psi without cracking a sleeve stock? I have heard that you almost have to build this motor if you are going to boost it. Well, as some of you know, my last car was just stolen and $ is tight so I just want to boost this motor a little bit until I can fully built it correctly. If any one actually knows, what boost is safe to run on a stock B20? I have heard of people putting down 260 whp on a stock B20 at 7 psi but then the motor blows. Usually after about a year. I guess that is long enough to save up for the internals of the block but I am hoping someone on this site has a stock B20 turbo. or maybe a built one.

Comments, sugestions?

I will most likely be runing a t3/t4 and hondata.

tuning will prevent detonation that leads to cracking them

Alright thanx brian. what do you think.... 440 RCs, 255 gph fuel pump, t3/t4 hybrid, on a stock B20, 7 psi, runing a s200 hondata tuned by someone good. 250 whp out of the question? And what do you think about the tranny... GSR? I really don't see how the LS tranny would be faster unless you had a BIG turbo and was running high boost numbers.

yeah, pretty much out of the question. i'd guess 230 max at 7psi on a t3/t04e .63 turbo on a stock b20.

on a stock gsr (more compression/less deisplacement) it was putting about 225 whp out on a hondata tune with 310s and liek 60 psi rail pressure.
so with the larger injectors, you may get a little more top end (his tuner put rev limit at 7600 due to no more fuel) but then again, a b18c makes way mroe power up top than a b20...

so yeah, low 200's i'd guess.

the ls tranny is NEVER faster. NEVER. EVER.

closer gearing = faster acceleration. I don't care what type of induction the car has.
the Ls tranny is good for 2 things: Uber gas mileage, and 180 mph dashes.

if i were to build a drag car, i'd be using a JDM ITR tranny with an upgraded diff.

on a street car, i like the GSR, for simple fact that you aren't winding out at 7500 rpms doing 70 mph in 5th gear. lol

if you don't care, go for the itr or the b16- but the b16 is weaker by design.

but don't run the ls, unless you want to get better gas mileage and be slower

:werd:

Yeah, I'm sick of all these noobs trying to say that ls trannys are better for boost. Higher gearing = faster acceleration... or is that lower gearing..? whatever. I'm stoned.

Well, I'll let ya know what I put down...

btw - what's up with YOUR boosted motor? :D

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Apr 8 2004, 11:52 PM
My question is - are the b20b sleeves too weak to boost 6-8 psi without cracking a sleeve stock? I have heard that you almost have to build this motor if you are going to boost it.

I've said it more than once per day for the last two weeks, and I'll say it again...

The B20 isn't made of fucking glass. It's tough enough to handle quite a bit of abuse. Boost it and tune it well, and you'll be fine.

my friend was running b20/vtec turbo in his EK hatch boosting 4psi on a t3/t4. it was pretty quick & he knew how to launch bomb as fuck, but it got wrecked.

Originally posted by Calesta+Apr 9 2004, 07:28 PM-->
sohcslammer
@Apr 8 2004, 11:52 PM
My question is - are the b20b sleeves too weak to boost 6-8 psi without cracking a sleeve stock? I have heard that you almost have to build this motor if you are going to boost it.

I've said it more than once per day for the last two weeks, and I'll say it again...

The B20 isn't made of fucking glass. It's tough enough to handle quite a bit of abuse. Boost it and tune it well, and you'll be fine.

Thanx Cal, that's just what I wanted to hear. :thumbsup:

You're welcome. Just don't think it's bulletproof- you'll have to go to a 2JZ-GTE if you want a bulletproof OEM bottom end that can handle more than twice stock power levels without taking a dump on you. Be very diligent when you're building and tuning the engine, and it will treat you well.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Apr 9 2004, 01:58 AM

Yeah, I'm sick of all these noobs trying to say that ls trannys are better for boost. Higher gearing = faster acceleration... or is that lower gearing..? whatever. I'm stoned.

I'm just going to inject my .02. I've driven a Prelude VTEC and my Prelude Si. As far as I'm concerned, I'd much rather daily drive mine, which does 60mph at 3,000RPM, compared to the VTEC tranny which does the same at about 3,800. The H series screams on the highway, and I like to keep my street whip as humane as possible. I know it's slower, but I like the driveability a more.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Apr 8 2004, 10:58 PM

I guess I need a new tranny, oh well soon enough when the LS goes out the GSR goes in hopefully I will be turbo by then.

Jon, you should go with an ITR tranny.
LSD Type R Tranny = :thumbsup:
Sick One-legger LS Tranny = :thumbsdown:

The type r has the highest final drive the B16 is next then the GSR and then the LS. And then the D16z. Single cams rule. B)

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Apr 27 2004, 10:22 PM
Jon, you should go with an ITR tranny.
LSD Type R Tranny = :thumbsup:
Sick One-legger LS Tranny = :thumbsdown:

The type r has the highest final drive the B16 is next then the GSR and then the LS. And then the D16z. Single cams rule. B)

Are you sure???

Back